Sherman Gen. Sherman's Greatest Relative

SharonS

Corporal
There was a July 4 ceremony today at New Haven's Grove Street Cemetery honoring the greatest of all the (many) Connecticut relatives of William T. Sherman. This one was at the grave of Roger Sherman (OK, the relationship was pretty distant) the only quadruple signer of the four great papers of state of the United States. His grandson Roger Sherman Baldwin is buried next to him. Baldwin was the courtroom defender of the Amistad captives, not the 19th century ambulance-chaser of the movie but one of the most famous attorneys in the country.The reenactor on the horse is David Loda, portraying George Washington's ADC David Humphreys. The horse is Huckleberry, portraying..who knows?
Roger Sherman Ceremony.jpg

Boy oh boy now that's what I call stretching the truth or at least the family connection.

Boy oh boy now that's what I call stretching the truth or at least the family connection.
Actually not such a stretch. WT Sherman talks about Roger in his memoirs. They were descended from two brothers, sons of the original immigrant Sherman. WT was born in Ohio thanks to his father and grandfather travelling west from CT in search of legal work growing out of CT claims for the Western Reserve and the Firelands given to CT victims of British raids.The father and grandfather, like the Shermans of the other branch, were involved in the political and legal life of 18th and early 19th century CT. WT was proud of his relationship to Roger (as he should have been)..

IIRC correctly from my days in that four letter word school over there, he was the mayor of New Haven and the treasurer of that local school for a while, no?

Back