Gen. Robert E. Lee on the Chambersburg Pike

tmh10

Major
01792v.jpg

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee on the Chambersburg Pike.
CREATED/PUBLISHED
1863 July.
NOTES
Caption from negative sleeve: Lee's Hdq.
Two plates form left (LC-B811-2481B) and right (LC-B811-2481A) halves of a stereograph pair.
Corresponding prints are in LOT 4167-A and LOT 4170.
Forms part of Civil War glass negative collection (Library of Congress).

Great picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taken from Google Images.
The building is now a museum surrounded by a nice Motel and tavern.

Expired Image Removed
Expired Image RemovedExpired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed
Just across the street is Seminary Ridge / Confederate RD.
One of the Theological Seminary buildings, just a few steps away, is undergoing a marvellous restoration and they have dug below the foundation.
I returned to take pictures, but a brutal storm opened up, and we went to dinner instead.

Definitely the same building. I just love "then and now" photos. It confirms that the original photos are real and not some figment of my imagination!

I had, (read that HAD) an amazing book that was full of then and now location pictures of the Civil War.
Outstanding work the photographer/author did. Also, a tale or two how he came up with his exact locations.
Called Coffee Table size and quality books back then.

I think I was 14 when I got it from an aunt.
My dad borrowed it and it vanished.

I was at the Gettysburg Visitors center last week and sniffed around the book store and couldn't find a replacement.
One nice thing about on line books,, they don't go out of print.

I had, (read that HAD) an amazing book that was full of then and now location pictures of the Civil War.
Outstanding work the photographer/author did. Also, a tale or two how he came up with his exact locations.
Called Coffee Table size and quality books back then.

I think I was 14 when I got it from an aunt.
My dad borrowed it and it vanished.

I was at the Gettysburg Visitors center last week and sniffed around the book store and couldn't find a replacement.
One nice thing about on line books,, they don't go out of print.
Oh boy! I sure wish I had that book!

I've read that Lee actually pitched his headquarters tent across the road from this house.

Back