Gen. Mead's HQ in Middletown, MD now unrecognizable

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Sadly, the house on 11 E. Main St. in Middletown, MD that was Gen. Mead’s HQ following Lee’s retreat from Gettysburg was recently “renovated” and put up for sale, clearly without any consideration for its historical significance. OK, it’s the owner's house, so he can do whatever he wants with it, but it would have been nice to maintain its historical integrity. Somehow, I'm not seeing all that vinyl siding and the removal of the front porch as "improvements." Interestingly, the real estate listing shows a view of the back porch as its primary shot, and for the "street" view, shows the picture of how it used to look. And they recently dropped the price by $11,000.

Here's how it looked before:

118538747_10221583426067643_2668403642038186500_o.jpg

Here's how it looks now:

118611090_10221581520900015_1879605344859357851_n.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the road got redone. I don't know about in Pennsylvania, but down here the all roads have been getting widened and the State requiring homeowners to adjust. Could it be that this happened?

All and all this is sad, but the building is still there and up for sale. One could always buy and restore it one day.

It looks like the road got redone. I don't know about in Pennsylvania, but down here the all roads have been getting widened and the State requiring homeowners to adjust. Could it be that this happened?

All and all this is sad, but the building is still there and up for sale. One could always buy and restore it one day.

Middletown is near the end of what was supposed to be a 3-year project to replace all the utilities under Main St., rebuild all the sidewalks, and repave the road. It seems like it's been going on for an eternity, and has been a traffic nightmare, but they're pretty much done. It was sorely needed and Main St. looks much better because of it, but all that work had been going on for a while and they just they did this to the house, so I doubt the infrastructure repairs had anything to do with the work done on the house. There are a number of other houses along Main St. with porches where the road was redone, and none of them had to remove anything to accommodate the road repairs.

Last edited:
Back