Gen.Albert Sidney Johnston’s death site, Shiloh National Battlefield...

Neat thread.

I wish last year I could've seen the spot, but I had some wandering to do.

Also I got to say, I'm thrilled nobody erected a grand monument on the spot where Johnston died. As it is now allows one to get a picture of what it looked like when Johnston died. Monuments are good thing, but when they completely cover a battlefield they really take away from it in my book.

Michael there are plenty of places at Shiloh where many died that do not have a monument or tablet sitting. In the confusion of battle, dust and smoke Johnston’s life passed. Harris came back 30 years after the Battle of Shiloh and made his selection.
I would have a very difficult time returning to a place I had not seen in 30 years and pick the exact spot,
All that being said, take this site with a grain of salt. He could be spot on or 30, 50 or more yards off.

Hope you are recovering from the ice/snow storm and had no damage. Please give my best to Tom!
Regards
David

Michael there are plenty of places at Shiloh where many died that do not have a monument or tablet sitting. In the confusion of battle, dust and smoke Johnston’s life passed. Harris came back 30 years after the Battle of Shiloh and made his selection.
I would have a very difficult time returning to a place I had not seen in 30 years and pick the exact spot,
All that being said, take this site with a grain of salt. He could be spot on or 30, 50 or more yards off.
There certainly could not have been as many landmarks there in 1862 or 1892 as there are now either.

Hope you are recovering from the ice/snow storm and had no damage. Please give my best to Tom!
Regards
David

I'm completely recovered from the storm and halfway miss it. The mosquitos returned in record timing! As for Tom I was unable to get a hold of him this entire month and finally found out he sat it out in Missouri taking care of business for his Dad. He had to've got it ten times worse up yonder.

I've about decided a lot of folks memories ain't created equal. I've known some who could go back to an exact spot after the span of decades, and lot who'd get lost. Plus some folks remember tragic spots with great accuracy. I don't know how good Harris' memory was, but its not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm completely recovered from the storm and halfway miss it. The mosquitos returned in record timing!
Miss it ?

:unsure:

Gawd . . . I love a rare " Winter Wonderland" in the South myself . . . as long as the power doesn't go out for a week !

:cold:

Temps are back in the 70's over here one week later.
(And our mosquitos are returning as I type) !

But back on topic, I remember walking down into that ravine at Shiloh at young age.
It was probably one of the safest places for General A.S. Johnston that day.

Miss it ?

:unsure:

Gawd . . . I love a rare " Winter Wonderland" in the South myself . . . as long as the power doesn't go out for a week !

:cold:

Temps are back in the 70's over here one week later.
(And our mosquitos are moving back into their homes as I type) !

But back on topic, I remember walking down into that ravine at Shiloh at young age.
It was probably one of the safest places for General A.S. Johnston that day.

I'm one the few Texans not on ERCOT. I only lost power twice for a couple hours at a time. The water company deliberately shutting down the water for a week because the news and emergency money on the other hand....

Back