• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Condiments Garlic and Onion Vinegar

garlic and onion vinegar
garlic3.jpg
(from The Southern Gardener and Receipt-book: Containing Valuable Information, Original and Otherwise, by Mary L. Edgeworth, 1860)

Ingredients:

2 oz. of garlic & onions​
1 quart of vinegar​

Instructions:

Chop two ounces of the root, put it in a bottle, pour over it a quart of the best vinegar, and shake it well every day for ten days; then pour off the clear liquor into half-pint bottles. A few drops of the garlic will flavor a pint of gravy, as it is very powerful.​

Image source: LupaGlupa

Yesterday was garlic pulling day - a few hours work on the easiest crop in my garden. I plant about 40 cloves each year and get enough garlic to plant next years crop and season months of cooking. But, no matter how carefully I dry the heads, they don't last through the winter. I searched out a way to preserve some of that garlic goodness and found this recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back