Born:
November 19, 1831

Birthplace: Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Father: Abram Garfield 1799 – 1833
(Buried: Roselawn Cemetery, Solon, Ohio)​

Mother: Eliza Ballou 1801 – 1888
(Buried: Roselawn Cemetery, Solon, Ohio)​

Wife: Lucretia “Crete” Rudolph 1832 – 1918
(Buried: James A. Garfield Memorial and Tomb, Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio)​

Married: November 11, 1858 in Hiram, Ohio

Signature:
1571552936820.png

Children:
Young Garfield.jpg

Eliza Arabella “Trot” Garfield 1860 – 1863​
(Buried: Fairview Cemetery, Hiram, Ohio)​
Harry Augustus Garfield 1863 – 1942​
(Buried: Williams College Cemetery, Williamstown, Massachusetts)​
James Rudolph Garfield 1865 – 1950​
(Buried: Mentor Municipal Cemetery, Mentor, Ohio)​
Mary “Mollie” Garfield Stanley - Brown 1867 – 1947​
(Buried: Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio)​
Irvin McDowell Garfield 1870 – 1951​
(Buried: Oak Grove Cemetery, Falmouth, Massachusetts)​
Abram Garfield 1872 – 1958​
(Buried: Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio)​
Edward Garfield 1874 – 1876​
(Buried: Fairview Cemetery, Hiram, Ohio)​

Political Party: Republican

Nicknames: Boatman Jim, and Preacher President

Religious Affiliation: Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Education:

1849 – 1850: Attended Geauga Academy​
1851 – 1854: Attended Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (now Hiram College)​
1858: Graduated from Williams College​
Occupation before War:
Pres Garfield.jpg

1856 – 1857: Classical Languages Instructor at Eclectic Institute​
1857 – 1861: President of Eclectic Institute​
1859 – 1861: Ohio State Senator​
1860: Campaigner for Abraham Lincoln’s Campaign in Ohio​

Civil War Service:

1861 – 1862: Colonel of 42nd Ohio Volunteers Infantry Regiment​
1862: Led his troops at Jenny’s Ford in Kentucky​
1862: Successful Commander at Battle of Middle Creek, Kentucky​
1862 – 1863: Brigadier General Union Army Volunteers​
1862: Commander of only Union Army troops in Eastern Kentucky​
1862: Commander at Skirmish of Pound Gap, Kentucky​
1862: Served in the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee​
1862: Suffered from jaundice and weight loss due to being sick​
1862 – 1863: Served on Court martial Major General Fitz John Porter​
1863: Chief of Staff of Major General William S. Rosecrans
Garfield.jpg
1863: Major General Union Army Volunteers​
1863: Resigned from Union Army in December​
1863 – 1880: U.S. Congressman from Ohio​
Supported Confiscation of Rebel property and Execution or Exile of Confederate Leaders​
Criticized Lincoln Administration for failing to prosecute the war more vigorously​

Occupation after War:

1863 – 1880: U.S. Congressman from Ohio​
1867 – 1869: Congressional Chairman Committee on Military Affairs​
Voted for the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson​
1868: Supporter of Ulysses S. Grant for President​
1869 – 1871: Congressional Chairman Banking & Currency Committee
1571552518961.png
1871 – 1875: Congressional Chairman Committee on Appropriations​
1872: Supporter of Ulysses S. Grant’s reelection as President​
1876: Supporter of Rutherford B. Hayes for President​
1876: Member of Electoral Commission​

1880: Elected United States Senator but declined office​
1881: President of United States of America​
1881: Shot by an Assassin on July 2nd in Washington, D.C.​

Died: September 19, 1881

Time of Death: 10:35 PM

Place: Elberon, New Jersey

Cause of Death: Effects of Assassination

Last Words: "Swaim can't you stop this? Oh Swaim!"

Burial Place: James A. Garfield Memorial and Tomb, Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio

1571555680967.png

The caskets of James Garfield, left, and his wife Lucretia, in the crypt. U.S. Army Reserve Photo

Q: How many Civil War generals became president?

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Garfield suffered a lot in his life and died a slow, agonizing death after the attempt to assassinate him.
The following comes from this source and is pretty drastic. Those of us with a weak stomach should read no further:
Snip-it_1571574883847.jpg

Snip-it_1571575151555.jpg

Snip-it_1571575205947.jpg

Snip-it_1571575273002.jpg

For years now, I have toyed with the idea of doing a book on Garfield during the Civil War. Beside his field command and serving as Rosecrans' chief of staff, he served on the Fitz-John Porter court-martial board, in Congress, and argued Ex Parte Milligan, which provides the legal justification for holding enemy combatants for military tribunals instead of civilian courts. Would folks find such a book interesting?

For years now, I have toyed with the idea of doing a book on Garfield during the Civil War. Beside his field command and serving as Rosecrans' chief of staff, he served on the Fitz-John Porter court-martial board, in Congress, and argued Ex Parte Milligan, which provides the legal justification for holding enemy combatants for military tribunals instead of civilian courts. Would folks find such a book interesting?
Absolutely!!
I think a book about him would be fascinating - and his life was not an easy one. Probably researching him will be interesting too.

My husband went to Hiram and I've been out there. There isn't any statue to Garfield, but there might be a bust to him in the library. Poor guy, he suffered so much from the Doctors.
I attended Hiram and now live about 4 miles from the college.... There is a statue of Garfield now, been there for a couple of years.

Yes!

@Eric Wittenberg didn't someone from Garfield's staff write some biography of him after he died? It seems to me I came across something like that at a used book store, cheap, but didn't buy it. I flipped through it and I can't remember if the author had been on his staff during the Civil War or not. It certainly wouldn't be as in-depth as yours would be, but Garfield seems to have been a forgotten President. I also have a memory from something I read that he was sensitive to the plight of vets after the war. I'd like to know more about that.

@Eric Wittenberg didn't someone from Garfield's staff write some biography of him after he died? It seems to me I came across something like that at a used book store, cheap, but didn't buy it. I flipped through it and I can't remember if the author had been on his staff during the Civil War or not. It certainly wouldn't be as in-depth as yours would be, but Garfield seems to have been a forgotten President. I also have a memory from something I read that he was sensitive to the plight of vets after the war. I'd like to know more about that.

I am aware of most of those books, and, in fact, own copies of nearly all of them. I have been gathering material for some time.

No sympathy for the faithless Garfield at all - after his double-dealing with his superior Rosecrans following the rout of the Union right wing at Chickamauga, I'd say he got what he deserved: In the back!

Back