Garden relic...long ago find

General Butler

First Sergeant
Many of you remember that long ago a pile of gravestones were found in western mass where these had been made.
Typos, wrong unit ect were some of the reasons why these were rejected.
I was able to obtain a couple when I lived up there.
Unique?
As I recall this veteran was to have a stone listing another unit.

1600363345051887748063615661566.jpg

The feds can be anal about misspellings and such, but they should be. I don't know what happened to the old stone when my mother replaced my Great Grandfather's stone. I would have taken it. His stone was the original dating back to his 1935 death. They are discarded when replaced. At least the stones weren't just thrown to the side of a field, which is what happens down here when farmers get tired of going around old family cemeteries. They just remove the stones, and go back to farming. I have seen that happen quite a bit. The fine is rather steep when they get caught doing it. Which is what happens as long as the descendants are still in the area. I have seen it happen a lot in a county south of me.

Albert Newton had enlisted in Co. B, 21st Mass in August, 1861. He was transferred by Special Order, to Co. I, 36th Mass. in January 1864 (at which time both rgts were in Tennessee), and served through the end of the war. When the rgts. were consolidated, on July 6, 1865, he was again transferred to the 56th Mass. He was in that regiment just 6 days when he was mustered out on July 12th. The stone was doubtless replaced by one showing his "real" regiment ... whichever of the others he chose.

Last edited:
Albert Newton had enlisted in Co. B, 21st Mass in August, 1861. He was transferred by Special Order, to Co. I, 36th Mass. in January 1864 (at which time both rgts were in Tennessee), and served through the end of the war. When the rgts. were consolidated, on July 6, 1865, he was again transferred to the 56th Mass. He was in that regiment just 6 days when he was mustered out on July 12th. The stone was doubtless replaced by one showing his "real" regiment ... whichever of the others he chose.
Not sure how it ever became his stone with just 6 days of service but I understand why it was done when the family saw it.

Back