Galvanized yankee killed in 1864--query

noman

First Sergeant
Years ago I came across a website story that in Northwest Georgia/Southeast tennessee ? that a "galvanived yankee" leading a union cavalry Patrol In summer 1864 was shot and killed by the home owner-A CS soldier on leave-who forced the other members of the patrol to flee-while the dead leader was later buried by the house's front Porch. Years later one of the union survivors sent a picture-or was sent a picture of the man who was killed-he was in a CS Uniform and smoking a cigar-with a red ink spot showing where he'd been killed-possibly he had relatives in Michigan. In the Offical Records there were a one or two reports sent by the man in question-although I wasn't able to find a official follow up report. was this the basis for well known scene in "Gone with the Wind" where Scarlett o"Hara shoots the Yankee deserter?

I wrote a story about Lawton that's supposed to come out in a magazine this year. Lawton was from Michigan and I doubt that he deserted from the CSA. He was a Jessie Scout in the Shenandoah Valley in 1862. His ID disc was recently dug in Virginia. Jones Andrews, his killer, was a CS deserter who had joined Gatewood's Raiders, a guerrilla band notorious for killing prisoners. Lawton came to Chattanooga with General George Thomas around Sept 1863, and he's mentioned in the OR twice.

Years ago I came across a website story that in Northwest Georgia/Southeast tennessee ? that a "galvanived yankee" leading a union cavalry Patrol In summer 1864 was shot and killed by the home owner-A CS soldier on leave-who forced the other members of the patrol to flee-while the dead leader was later buried by the house's front Porch. Years later one of the union survivors sent a picture-or was sent a picture of the man who was killed-he was in a CS Uniform and smoking a cigar-with a red ink spot showing where he'd been killed-possibly he had relatives in Michigan. In the Offical Records there were a one or two reports sent by the man in question-although I wasn't able to find a official follow up report. was this the basis for well known scene in "Gone with the Wind" where Scarlett o"Hara shoots the Yankee deserter?
The report was made by a trooper from the 4th Michigan Cav, named either Vantyle or Vantye. It's at NARA not the OR, although a transcript of it is included in the website link you cited below your post. Vantye was the man who sent the photo to Lawton's relatives. Lawton is mentioned in the OR as Scout Lawton in Dec 1863 near Chattanooga, and a report he wrote earlier in that year is also in the OR. Lawton, as a former Jessie Scout, used the same MO they did--he carried out his missions in CS uniform. The uniform was recovered by Vantye before the women of the house buried Lawton.

Or in his case, shot by the man you're hunting down.
Excerpt from Four Years in the Saddle by Colonel Harry Gilmor, Chapter XX, page 87.

"I was returning by a shorter route when I came suddenly on a "Jessie Scout" in a narrow lane that led out to Griffith's factory. I had taken the precaution to put around my neck a white handkerchief, leaving a long end hanging down over the shoulder, the badge by which the "Jessies" distinguished each other. Those " Jessie Scouts" were a body of men dressed in Confederate uniforms, organized by General Fremont. The fellow rode up cautiously, his pistol drawn, but I pretended to be very unconcerned, showing no disposition to draw mine. He rode a noble dapple gray, and stopped when our horses' heads were nearly together. "Where are you going?" said he. "Going into town," replied I, quietly, but in a firm voice. He then inquired where I belonged, and I answered, "To the same crowd you do— to Captain Purdy's scouts." "

Why, I don't remember seeing you, though I hav'nt been detailed long myself."

"That is just my case," I replied.

He then asked what regiment I was detailed from. I told him from the 12th Pennsylvania, Captain Fenner's, company F. This satisfied him; he put up his pistol; and, as I rode up alongside, I noticed a pair of handcuffs looped over the small strap that holds the saddle-pocket to the flap. I asked what he was going to do with the "ruffles." He replied, "There is a Reb out at old Griffith's, and I am going after him." "Let me look at them," said I; and, as he stooped to take them off, I quickly drew my sabre.

There was a gate leading into a lane near where we stood. It was a little way open, and he made a desperate effort to get through; but his horse pushed it to with his neck, and at the same before he said, " You sold me pretty well, but I don't blame you." I gave him whisky and water out of my flask, and tried to save him, but my blade went too near the heart. He had a very good saddle, that suited me better than my own; the handcuffs I carried all the way to Gettysburg, and there gave them away.

Back