Breechldrs Gallagher Carbine Acquired

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
Best to measure the amount of powder too, particularly as you develop a load for best accuracy. You might try FFg or FFFg. I think that the foil and paper cartridges had 50 grains of powder, while some sources claim the brass cases had 60-grains, which strikes me as a rather stiff load. Some people report good results with 35-gr. or so. Probably your brass cases don't allow for that much powder being packed in there, since the cases are thick-walled and constructed for repeated use.

Good on ya for bringing back your Galager to firing condition!

toot

Corporal
FedericoFCavad. I fill it up to the inner lip / ledge, because I don't want an air gap in a $3000,+ gun. and that lip is for the bullet to seat on. any less I would be caseous to load. thank you for the message that I brought it back, after not being shot for over 200 + yrs. if as stated loaded with in reason these old weapons will still give many more yrs, of service. best, toot.

toot

Corporal
yes you are rite about the new brass cases, they hold approx. 30 grs of 2 FG, as that is what I loaded, as it has less pressure than 3FG. I will try 3FG. now that I know it is safe to shoot. thanks, toot.