Breechldrs Gallagher Carbine Acquired

Noonanda

Private
any one have any info, on how to load the odd looking round, what type of bullet, and, BP. powder load? any and all info would be appreaciated. where would I get brass cases for it. yes I have one. and it does not seem to have an extractor, how are the cases extracted after firing? thanks.
You can get brass cases from lodegewood (but they are pricey) I cant remember who makes a correct bullet

kotkinjs1

Private
Does anyone have an example or picture of the Poultney cartridge?
I've got one of the brass cartridges - I think it's a later Poultney? My Gallager is in SN'd 16306. Mostly W inspection stamps except the barrel that has a D.

IMG_20210307_120338__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120345__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120532__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120549__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120613__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120703__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_120736__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_121055__01.jpg

IMG_20210307_121159.jpg

IMG_20210307_121042.jpg

IMG_20210307_121002.jpg

IMG_20210307_120936.jpg

IMG_20210307_120915.jpg

IMG_20210307_120901.jpg

IMG_20210307_120854.jpg

IMG_20210307_120725.jpg

IMG_20210307_120558.jpg

IMG_20210307_120549.jpg

toot

Corporal
thank you for sharing the pictures of your GALLAGER CARBINE. have you shot it? if so, just what does it entail to load the shell, as I have one with 4 shells, and want to shoot mine. bullet DIA, RB, or BULLET? amount of powder, grade? 1FG, 2FG? if you respond to me thank's in advance.

toot

Corporal
is they rely any problem with finger & thumb extraction after shooting, after a fashion, when black powder daberee builds up in the chamber? seams it is never mentioned, just would like to know if any one has had experience in this field? and if so how would one remove the stuck case?

toot

Corporal
Noonanda, now that would answer my question, as it would all burn up on firing, like a SHARPS. how would you go to manufacturing one of them? let me know just how that you make out? what would be the problem using brass shells in it?

Noonanda

Private
Noonanda, now that would answer my question, as it would all burn up on firing, like a SHARPS. how would you go to manufacturing one of them? let me know just how that you make out? what would be the problem using brass shells in it?
There are 2 reasons why I am looking at the Poultney Paper Cartridge. 1) I have an Erma Repro Gallager, and these were made with .54 Caliber Machine gun barrels with fast rifling. I have looked into having it relined to .52 Caliber (and still may) but right now I only shoot .54 cal roundballs in it. I have the ability to make these paper cartridges, I would likely test it with Aluminum foil and paper as well as just a paper variant. I also could potentially use a .54 Sharps bullet for it. 2) brass for the Gallager is expensive

As far as making one, I would measure the original brass cartridge I have and make the cartridge overall length the same. Powder charge will have to be worked up.

The sharps bullet I would use is a a reproduction of the Richmond Sharps bullet using a mold made by Eras Gone
(www.Erasgonebullets.com) which would allow me to glue the paper to the base.

I'm gonna try to make a couple dummies up this week and will let you know.

kotkinjs1

Private

toot

Corporal
darn, I went there and every item is out of stock except a main soring vise. no help to me.

toot

Corporal
I just received 6 brass cases from S&S FIREARMS, and 50 bullets, witch do not fit into the chamber when they are in the case. they go into the riffling when I try to close the gun, the gun will not close. and the cases have a grove in the bottom of the cases? the DIA, of the bullets are .520. and they are very out of round and I had to file then at the base to get them into the cases. very disappointed with them.. I would like to get a LEE mold for it, what size? I have an original carbine. toot.

toot

Corporal
I can thumb push a .530 DIA. RB into my S&S FIREARMS cases that I bought frim them. a RB, pushed into the case and it will chamber / close up . can I safely shoot them in my original GALIGHER CARBINE. with .530 RB'S? the RB'S push into the cases with out any resistance. and would I put in 2FG, BP, up to the ridge / inner lip / rim. and then push in the .530 RB and fire it? thanks, toot.

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
This is one of the Gallager carbines produced using aircraft machine gun barrels from ERMA-Werke:

The Gallager carbine was produced in Philadelphia, PA, but designed by Savannah, GA-born Mahlon J. Gallager. Difficulty in removing the cartridge case made it rather unpopular, but 18,000 were produced and issued during the Civil War. Caliber .50. I'd try Lodgewood manufacturing to inquire about cases.

Out of stock at Dixie Gun Works, unfortunately: KA0604 Gallager Cartridge Case

S&S Glendale, NY:

Old N-SSA thread about original versus Erma-reproduction Gallager carbines and bullet diameter:

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
You may have to take it to a gunsmith and get the bore slugged. Typically, a lump of lead is heavily greased (make sure it is real lead!) and then, using pieces of dowel rod, it is hammered through the bore from breech to muzzle. After that, the grease gets wiped off, and using calipers, you can measure the "true" bore diameter.

Apparently some complaints involved the manufacture quality, others the robustness of the system, so definitely be very careful. Once you measure the true bore diameter, you should be able to get a bullet sizer for it? I typically shoot my Minie/Burton balls as they are cast from a .685" mould for a .687" .69 caliber relining job done by Bob Hoyt. I have a .685 sizer, which I may start using to try to control that variable as I go for greater accuracy.

I'm thinking a commercial round ball might work, or perhaps another .50 caliber bullet that fits the cases you have. The charge was a rather hefty 60 grains of powder, presumably FFg. Modern cases are too thick for that size, so perhaps something like 40 to 45 grains of FFFg would be suitable? Good luck on getting yours to shoot! I've only every fired my wife's Sharps paper-cartridge carbine, which uses paper combustible cartridges instead of metal. I might experiment with some of the new-fangled reusable cases at some point.

toot

Corporal
well guys, today I finally shot my original GALIGER CARBINE, got brass from E-BAY & TOTW, & BULLETS from TOTW also. I shot brass cases with & with out a grove at the base. nothing changed. filled the cases up to the inner lip with 2FG. BP. and loaded then put a cap on and bang!! what a blast- pun intended! the secret to shooting these old dogs is to slug the barrel first! toot.