Gaines Family and Margaret Garner

JD Mayo

Retired User
The man listed as "mulatto" may well have been the man mentioned here. Teamster is a more likely occupation for him than a combat role, I would think, so again that could well be him. I presume he was a free man if he was able to volunteer for service in the army.

My 4th great grandfathers sister was a "mulatto". Her name was Mildred Gaines. Her brother John P Gaines Governor of the state Oregon his other brother HK Gaines wanted to marry Margeret Garner. The slave woman who killed her children so they wouldn't be sold into slavery even though they where already freed. My family actually freed all there slaves. Where not in slaved states.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Margeret Garner. The slave woman who killed her children so they wouldn't be sold into slavery even though they where already freed.
I had never read about this. Here's a couple of newspaper articles about the tragic situation. How was Archibald K. Gaines, the man mentioned in the second article, related to H K Gaines mentioned in your post?
1593831998243.png

The Cadiz Democratic Sentinel. (Cadiz, OH), February 06, 1856, page 2.
1593832295858.png

1593832363375.png

Anti-Slavery Bugle. (New Lisbon, OH), March 15, 1856, page 2.

JD Mayo

Retired User
There are some old threads about Margaret. You have to read them while trying to see between your fingers, like watching a horror movie with your hands over your face. It's just so awful beginning to end.

There is a movie called "Beloved" with Whoopi Goldberg. which is named after the daughter of the girl who the mother killed. But it's all inspired from the actual true story of what really happened it's based off a book to that's a novel. I read the story on Find A Grave about HK Gaines. There was a court trial about it. HK Gaines would be my 4 times great uncle. They all had a big family Gaines had always been a very close family still are today.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
There is a movie called "Beloved" with Whoopi Goldberg. which is named after the daughter of the girl who the mother killed. But it's all inspired from the actual true story of what really happened it's based off a book to that's a novel. I read the story on Find A Grave about HK Gaines. There was a court trial about it. HK Gaines would be my 4 times great uncle. They all had a big family Gaines had always been a very close family still are today.

Thanks for the information. Really, really must look into the Gaines further now. I admit to not digging into Margaret's story after first encountering it because it's just so mind bogglingly tragic. It went from worse to worst to awful, no matter how far in the past you can't help but be rocketed back there with her.

I don't know. Maybe the story isn't meant to go away. If anything can illustrate what in blazes went on around here and what the FSA was, it would be this story.

JD Mayo

Retired User
Here is the story his name is actually Archibald Kincaid Gaines but they named a lot of family members after his name here is the story about it's very interesting story but I don't believe that he hurt the african american woman who killed her children for being sold into slavery. Because the Gaines did not do that. They lived above the Mason Dixon line. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/42534414/archibald-kincaid-gaines my profile photo is my ancestors brother of HK Gaines. My 4th great grandfather.

Last edited:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Goodness. I know there are several takes on how closely some identify with ancestors- it's frequently thought overdone or silly, or pointless. Never adhered to that or felt silly - I can't say I identify with mine as much as appreciate the connection inside History ( caps on purpose ). When someone shows up here who has this direct connection it just feels like they would be walking History, that's all. And that maybe they'd be another chapter in some book. Tough to put my finger on.

It's such a shocking, awful story and was at the time. Onus was on the FSA, against the backdrop of actual slavery, enslaving human beings as law- what happens when we do that to each other. Tragedy on top of tragedy.