G. Anderson Birmingham Marked M1853 rifle-Musket

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
I recently bought a standard type 1863-dated Model 1853 Enfield rifle-musket, standard Birmingham proofs.
It has an interesting roundel stamp on the side of the buttstock, right side, back toward the buttplate. It is in the same style as those BSAT round stamps.

The outer circumfrance of this circular mark is stamped "G. ANDERSON" over "BIRMINGHAM" and inside this circular lettering is the word "GRADATIM" and under that word is the symbol of a crescent open at top with a cross above it.

I learned that is the Anderson family crest for the branch of the family from Mid Lothian, Scotland. The word GRADATIM means "by degrees." The general Anderson family crest has the crescent under the word GRADATIM but no cross. The Mid Lothian branch crest adds this cross, said to relate to the Crusades.

So, I don't know who this G Anderson of Birmingham was, but he must have been from the branch of the Anderson family on the north side of the border between Scotland and England.

I don't have a good list of all those involved in the Birmingham gun trade.

Does anyone have info on this "G ANDERSON?"

mrockwell

Private
My guess is that he was a stock maker and sub contracted out. I would check the business directories for 1863 for Birmingham to see if he was listed. The inside of the lock may have a makers name stamped there and from there there may be list who had sub contracted to the firm.

Lanyard Puller

Sergeant
We've just cornered the market on these, Jeff... only 17 more to go for a full case, as I know of one other one.

Either the cross {Christian} is surmounting the Crescent {Islam}, or it's indicating unity after the tenuous peace following the 1860 Syrian Civil War.

The lack of inspection marks, {excepting the barrel proofs} etc. seems to infer an under the table deal for Mr. Anderson.
I'll check the B'ham makers later today.

Here's some photos...

20210613_110004_resized (2).jpg

20210613_110037_resized (2).jpg

20210613_110100_resized.jpg

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
That is the same mark as is on my Enfield, and that slogan GRADATIM over the upturned crescent with cross above is the family crest of the Anderson family from Mid Lothian Scotland - and not of the other branches of the Andersons on either side of the border of Scotland and England. I did not know until I started researching that various divisions of families (including the Andersons ) had differing family crests - none of these except the Andersons from Mid-Lothian have a Cross over the crescent.
The "family crest" is different from the "Coat of Arms" aka the family shield (the shield shape on these will contain various symbols; the crest will be simpler, and that crest is what was stamped on the family silver to identify it!)
The usual Anderson crest does not have the cross on top of the crescent.
I will be taking this apart and seeing what marks are inside.
I doubt they will tell us much.
That style of that roundel would suggest that the person named there was responsible for the entire arm.

Last edited:

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
I took mine apart, and discovered that the mark is "C ANDERSON" and not "G ANDERSON."
The bottom of the barrel has only these marks, one is C ANDERSON and the other is GUN BARREL CO
The back of the lock is marked C ANDERSON
There is a small "45" stamped in the barrel channel, in the ramrod channel, and on the bottom of the barrel tang and on the bottom of the barrel right next to the tang.
These are the fewest marks I've ever seen on the bottom of a Model1853 barrel!

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
Here are two photos of a mark on silver spoons made in London in 1789, the crest shared by the Scottish families Kilgour, Anderson and Mac Nicol, a crest described as "A Crescent" under the family motto GRADATIM meaning "by degrees." There are many variations of these Anderson crests, many with the crescent (the crescent is the main emblem on the Swedish Anderson family crest), some with an oak tree and the slogan STAND FAST.
But only the branch of the Andersons from Midlothian in southern Scotland has the cross added above the crescent, which is the symbol put on my Enfield by "C ANDERSON" of BIRMINGHAM

1623814290569.png

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
Here are photos of the C ANDERSON mark on the bottom of the barrel and the inside of the lock. When I put this back together, I will have photos of that mark on the wood. You can see this is clearly C ANDERSON and not G ANDERSON

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00100.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00101.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00103.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00105.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00111.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00114.JPG

bayonet

Corporal
Yes, I should have some in a day or two. But my question is really: Does the name "G ANDERSON" appear in the records of Birmingham makers or merchants in the 1860s?
Charles Anderson was a Birmingham Gunsmith from 1861-1864 according to FIREARMS FROM EUROPE

Lanyard Puller

Sergeant
Finally pulled mine apart and they were most likely in the same crate as mine is #35.

Mine: with a T&C G (Gilbert) rod, and "F Young" in the ram rod channel. "MRM" made the barrel whch is numbered "35" on the breech and plug. "35" is also stamped in the barrel channel. Same C Anderson mark inside the lock and under the barrel.

I'll try to locate the owner of the third one, and will advise.
20210617_092021_resized (2).jpg

20210617_092431_resized (2).jpg

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
I finally got photos of the stock roundel mark on my Enfield. It was double struck, with the second one weaker, uneven and a bit rotated.

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00163.JPG

1863 Enfield C Anderson-00164.JPG