G.A.R. flag , Flint , Michigan

Kurt G

2nd Lieutenant
This flag was discovered in a locker at an old car dealership . No one seems to know how it got there and the condition was so good that it was believed to be a reproduction . It was purchased by Dave , a friend of a friend . His great grandfather and great uncle had been members of the Governor Crapo Post . Last week the flag was examined by experts and it was determined to be authentic and probably made in the 1880s or 1890s. The flag was donated to Save The Flags , Michigan State Capitol. It now resides at the Michigan Historical Center in Lansing , Mi. If it hadn't been for Dave , this flag would have likely been discarded .

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Very Nice flag and it is indeed an original. The only problem with it, is that its GAR and not UCV.:D Thanks for sharing it with us.

There were some members of the Women's Relief Corps present at the flag examination . They are a still active auxiliary of the G.A.R. and had some pieces with them . The arrowhead on the one is the symbol of Flint and you will still see it on police cars , fire engines , etc. Flint is named after the Flint River which contained flint used for making arrowheads by the Native Americans.

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

When the State of Michigan reopens would it be worth my time to go and see it? The museum is less than a mile away but getting them to let me look at it might take some work to get them to open the storage room and let me look it over.

Back