ENDED Furlough Home For East Tennessee Confederate Isaac Pleasant Co.K 60th TN.

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I debated on placing this in my East Tennessee thread but figured it would get more attention here from our many collecters. Maybe someone has already posted it if so I apologize. I did dig up some research on this soldier:

Fold3_Page_179.jpg

Isaac & family in 1860.

ISAAC PLEASANT(S):
Enlisted 9/27/1862 in Company K, 60th TN Infantry, Captain John M. Morrow's company from Washington County,(east) Tennessee. Isaac's age in the 1860 census was 36. The second conscription act had just taken effect. Isaac was paroled 7/8/1863 after the surrender of Vicksburg. He reported as ordered to a parole camp at Jonesboro, TN before April 1, 1864, and was still on the roll in October 1864.

I believe this document is a pass for a furlough home in February 1864. Signed by Colonel John H. Crawford of the 60th TN. Through Brigadier General John Crawford Vaughn, (commanding the 60th, 61st, and 62nd TN regiments), and Lt.General James Longstreet, at that time in command of the Department of East Tennessee. Pleasant agrees not to pass, "out of the Confederate lines" and that he will report, "whenever, or wherever ordered, or immediately upon being notified of an exchange". A number of the East Tennesseans home from Vicksburg had deserted, failing to report to parole camp, several had joined (or would join) the Union Army, now with a solid foothold in East Tennessee. Issac's record shows him on a "receipt roll" for clothing in September 1864. Remnants of the 60th, 61st, and 62nd TN had been consolidated and mounted on their return home and designated "Mounted Infantry".

Isaac was captured October 28, 1864, in Jefferson County, TN. Sent to Camp Douglass, Illinois he applied to take Oath of Allegiance in January 1865, claiming to have "always been loyal and conscripted into the Rebel Army". Apparently, before he could do so, he was part of a prisoner exchange in March. Isaac finally made amends with his Uncle Sam on June 14, 1865, taking the Oath at Chattanooga. There he's described as 5'8", grey eyes, dark complexion, with brown hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back