Funny but true! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

I thought I’d share a true story that happened to me several years ago as I was out rambling with my father at different flea markets and antique shops in Tennessee.
While in a barn antique store that was so full of old stuff you could barely walk around I noticed a couple in their 60’s come in looking around. The husband goes one way and the wife the other. The wife was one aisle over from me when I see her looking curiously at an old saddle. She asks the store owner about it. He explains, “ why that’s a McClellen saddle. He was a famous general in the civil war!” She thanks him and quickly makes her way over to her husband. Being a little curious about her speed to get to her husband I followed. I was going to tell them that I had seen another one in a nearby shop that was cheaper and in better shape. However, before I could get over to them I overhear her say to her husband in excitement, “ Honey, they have General McClelland’s saddle over there he used in the civil war! We had better go over there and buy it before someone else does!” It was at that point she saw me and gave her husband a look and took him by the hand hurrying over to get the saddle because she looked certain I heard her and would try to beat them to it! As I walked out the door shaking my head I saw them at the register buying it. She just glanced over her shoulder at me kind of smug and smiled. I tipped my hat and walked out with a smile. True story. I couldn’t make this stuff up!

I don't doubt that story one bit. One problem might have been the model of the McClellan too. I have seen all models sold as being from the Civil War. When I worked for the Park Service I had people ask me about fictional Civil War generals. They were characters in a popular novel and I had read the book. I had to tell them the generals were the products of fiction. I think they were a little put out by that.

Yes, but think how much enjoyment they're getting from their story! " See that saddle? General McClellan! Yep, yep, he owned it, if I'm lyin' I'm dying. OH yes, well we paid through the nose but worth every penny. He was some kinda big general in the Civil War. You can't put anything over on Sally here, nipped in in the nick of time, right under the nose of another feller who almost beat us to it. Yep, General McClellan. "

Their friends are too polite to fill them in, too.

Reminds me of the story I told on here awhile back regarding my friend who owned a civil war flag shop and also sold bumper stickers and lisense plates. He had a gentleman come in one day and ask him. "how much for the "Dallas Cowboys" flag.....my friend didn't know what to say, he didn't sale NFL merchandise...but he told the man that all flags were $10...when the man got to the register, he had a Bonnie Blue Flag in his hand...my friend didn't really know what to say but being the salesman that he is finally said " We have some lisense plates with that logo as well, they are 5 dollars," The guy bought one fo these as well.:rofl:

Well, I think you can buy a copy of this somewhere. Yesiree, Lincoln at Gettysburg, pay no attention to the woman in the knee-length skirt - we won't charge you extra. 99.95, Free Shipping, no returns ( I just made that up, but this really is touted as " Lincoln at Gettysburg '. ) If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

lincoln fake woman in background.jpg

Well, I think you can buy a copy of this somewhere. Yesiree, Lincoln at Gettysburg, pay no attention to the woman in the knee-length skirt - we won't charge you extra. 99.95, Free Shipping, no returns ( I just made that up, but this really is touted as " Lincoln at Gettysburg '. ) If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

View attachment 174032
She's clearly a time traveling tourist, which makes this piece worth even more. :rofl:

This is actually Abe's long lost twin brother Freddie just out taking in the air in Gettysburg, Ohio.

View attachment 174032
Hey wait a minute! Something's fishy about that photo. Lincoln didn't walk with a cain.:wink:

Back