Full Sized Fully Operational Civil War Ironclad

I'm sorry but that is a big nope.

But that's not to say there ain't something of the ironclads around. Here's a list of what I know of, who knows someone may know of one I don't.

1. USS Cairo wreck- Vicksburg NMP
2. CSS Jackson/Muscogee remains- National CW Naval Museum Columbus, GA
3. USS Monitor Turret- Newport News, VA ( I forget the name of the center its at)
4. USS Monitor replica- Newport News, VA (It is full size but hollow I believe)
5. CSS Neuse remains (hull)- Kinston, NC
6. CSS Neuse II- Kinston, NC (full size replica built on land, non-functional but supposedly most complete replica of a CS ironclad)
7. CSS Albemarle replica- NC, I think Plymouth? (not full size, not even half, but functional and sails in the river)

That is all I can recall off hand. Bear in mind it pretty much impossible for there to be a full size and fully-functional vessel, as them being built would take millions, and if one used the engines they had back then, they'd have to be a millionaire for it to go anywhere. Even with modern propulsion it'd be expensive, and maintenance would be a killer.

Unless a well off billionaire wants one, a full sized, fully functional replica is a pipedream.

Sorry: none of the ironclads survived to even the turn of the 20th century. I cannot imagine the cost of recreating an actual, functioning vessel - let alone crewing and sailing it. They're lost. The best we have of these marvels are the relics cited above. (I'll put a plug in for the museum in Columbus; it is very exciting to see their collection.)

Yep, those guys created one heck of a replica:

Not full scale, but as close as one get today.

Yeah that thing looks awesome, until someone pokes their head of the pilothouse! Not to mention how silly it looks if someone is walking her deck. Not bashing the great work they've done, just pointing out how ridiculous it looks when anything full size is around.

I know if I had the time, money and experience, I'd do something like they did, except I'd have to up it to at least half-scale. Either a CSS Arkansas, or correct CSS Texas would be awesome!

Around 2005, my buddies and I converted a basic pontoon party barge into a generic Confederate Navy ironclad.

With a frame of 2 X 4's and some chicken wire.

:bounce:

We had no working cannon, but still won third place on the 4th of July . . . Lake contest.

:laugh:

Well Done my friend well done

Around 2005, my buddies and I converted a basic pontoon party barge into a generic Confederate Navy ironclad.

With a frame of 2 X 4's and some chicken wire.

We had no working cannon, but still won third place on the 4th of July . . . Lake contest.

:laugh:

I don't have a picture handy, but some friends of mine have done the same thing for their so-called reenactment. (I call it a CW themed train ride, no Yanks most of the time, and they shoot cannons and muskets at a small steam train, that also has cannons mounted on a flatcar they push with the engine.)

Good friends, love em, but by God their event and they're "ironclad" can be an eyesore, (I stand ready to help them regardless of my feelings, and attend their event and the other reenactment in town that is always the same weekend, other reenactors who hate them and play politics and spread lies need to get their act together and realize I won't take sides). They've cast some smaller cannons on truck carriages, with doors run them out of, and built they're gunboat is a pontoon party barge with plywood walls painted black, covered in plexiglass, with angle iron covering all edges. They've christened it "Virginia" and I always get mean looks, with my pet name for it. The "plastic-clad".

It can make some noise, but don't expect it to go upriver fast with its little engine. Also them having "That Dam Boat" on the side works for so many interpretations.

until someone pokes their head of the pilothouse! Not to mention how silly it looks if someone is walking her deck. Not bashing the great work they've done, just pointing out how ridiculous it looks when anything full size is around.
Come on now !

Yeah . . . you make some valid points, but please don't spoil the illusion.
These guys put a lot of time, effort & money into that project !

It's not like everyone is trying to construct an 'ironclad' in their backyard on weekends.

I can't help but wonder if they've got the restoration effort good and well underway of Strelets. The measurements are a little off from a Passaic-Class, but restored it'll be the closest thing to one afloat. It'd be good if they get her to the US after restoration, if only for a visit, even if US-Russian relations are a bit more chilly than in 1863.

I can't help but wonder if they've got the restoration effort good and well underway of Strelets. The measurements are a little off from a Passaic-Class, but restored it'll be the closest thing to one afloat. It'd be good if they get her to the US after restoration, if only for a visit, even if US-Russian relations are a bit more chilly than in 1863.
You could not pay me enough to cross the open ocean in anything resembling a civil war ironclad. There was what, 11" of freeboard!?!

3. USS Monitor Turret- Newport News, VA ( I forget the name of the center its at)
4. USS Monitor replica- Newport News, VA (It is full size but hollow I believe)

1563194894785.png

Sir, both #3 and #4 are at...

The Mariners’ Museum and Park
100 Museum Dr, Newport News, VA 23606

Pic from their web site

https://www.marinersmuseum.org/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
You could not pay me enough to cross the open ocean in anything resembling a civil war ironclad. There was what, 11" of freeboard!?!

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company." - Dr. Samuel Johnson

...especially one with such low freeboard... :O o:

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
Back