Fruit Cake, Its History and Some Recipes

I cheat on my fruitcakes. I use my mom's Date Nut Bread as the base, then add lots of other goodies. Ooooh. Just remembered.....Treasure Cake. It's my other version---has maraschino (not candied) cherries, pecan halves, and (I think) chopped dates. Haven't made it in a while, but it's really good.

Tedra your recipe for fruit cake sounds great and easy to make.

Here is recipe for Frugal Fruit Cake.

3 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 box raisins
1 package dates
1 package figs
4 1/2 cups flour
5 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine sugar, spices, water, shortening, and fruits; boil 5 minutes; cool. Sift together flour, soda. baking powder, and salt. Add to cooled mixture and mix well. Pour into tube pan lined with greased paper and bake in slow oven (250 degrees) about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

How can we talk about National Cake Day without mentioning Fruitcake. With Thanksgiving tomorrow and the Holiday Season upon us, it is time to start making fruitcakes.

I have so many fond memories of my Granny making her fruitcakes. She made one for each family member and many friends. They were well-know in area were she lived. Her recipe is in this thread. We considered her the "Queen of Making Fruitcakes".

The qualifying remark is "good".
Too many of those dry as bone doorstops with the green/yellow/red specks of nightmare in my past to really appreciate fruitcake (we had a neighbor lady that always gave them out for Christmas -- don't know if she was being in the spirit or trying to off us all).

I always thought there was only one fruitcake in the world, and it was continually re-gifted for generations. (If someone else has posted a similar response, I apologize to them. They have probably received that one fruitcake and passed it on. I received it in the late 1970s.)

The qualifying remark is "good".
Too many of those dry as bone doorstops with the green/yellow/red specks of nightmare in my past to really appreciate fruitcake (we had a neighbor lady that always gave them out for Christmas -- don't know if she was being in the spirit or trying to off us all).
I love fruitcake, but not all fruitcakes are equal. Mine is really good, lots of fruit and pecans, not too much cake. I soak all the fruit in rum for a week or so before I make it and then wrap it in cheesecloth that has been soaked in rum, making sure to keep the clothes wet with additional rum. Even my fruitcake hating husband likes mine. I make a big one for my father in law every year, and he squirrels it away to savour by himself, only rarely sharing with anyone else.

I love fruitcake, but not all fruitcakes are equal. Mine is really good, lots of fruit and pecans, not too much cake. I soak all the fruit in rum for a week or so before I make it and then wrap it in cheesecloth that has been soaked in rum, making sure to keep the clothes wet with additional rum. Even my fruitcake hating husband likes mine. I make a big one for my father in law every year, and he squirrels it away to savour by himself, only rarely sharing with anyone else.
My friend, I must say that yours sounds excellent. ......but I received the one that has been traveling the world for several generations, so I have nothing to compare against yours.

I got a fruit cake for Christmas from the Atlantic & Pacific Co. in 1979. I took one bite and cracked a filling. That thing was made out of cement. Never again.
You got the same one I received about 1975! I wonder how many times it circled the globe before landing at your house?

I always thought there was only one fruitcake in the world, and it was continually re-gifted for generations. (If someone else has posted a similar response, I apologize to them. They have probably received that one fruitcake and passed it on. I received it in the late 1970s.)
I got a fruit cake for Christmas from the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. in 1979. I took one bite and cracked a filling. That thing was made out of cement. Never again.
You broke a filling on fruitcake? Good Lord, how did you get it cut in the first place?

From my experiences with those things: an axe, possibly a hacksaw.

Your recipe sounds delicious, may have to give it a whirl and discover tasty rather than terrible fruitcake (although finding a replacement for the citron might be worthwhile for those of us laboring under nightmares of fruitcake doorstops past).

From my experiences with those things: an axe, possibly a hacksaw.

Your recipe sounds delicious, may have to give it a whirl and discover tasty rather than terrible fruitcake (although finding a replacement for the citron might be worthwhile for those of us laboring under nightmares of fruitcake doorstops past).
I use candied orange and lemon peel, NO citron.

Back