CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Friends of Middleborough Cemeteries finishing up Civil War headstone project

Most Popular

Our Picks

By Robert Barboza/Contributing Writer
Posted Sep 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM Updated Sep 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM

MIDDLEBORO — Nearly three years ago, the non-profit Friends of Middleborough Cemeteries (FoMC) announced the start of an ambitious project, declaring their intent to clean up the headstones of an estimated 500 Civil War veterans who had been laid to rest in the town’s scattered cemeteries.

The cleaning work was to be done by a small corps of dedicated FoMC volunteers, one cemetery at a time, with the project mostly funded by the local non-profit, along with some financial assistance provided by a matching grant from the Massachusetts Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission.

More: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news...ries-finishing-up-civil-war-headstone-project

Thanks @CMWinkler for reporting the progress of this group. It usually is a small group of people who working together do the hard work. I have done this myself as a part of a group. It is satisfying work, and needed work also. It is so easy to forget the dead, who are not your own, but I see Civil War soldiers, as a part of all of our family. Thanks again.

Back