Fried Sausage with apples

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
These are pair of old recipes. Sausage is recipe from my Granny and Fried Apples is from "The Household Searchlight Cookbook".

Fried Sausage

sausage, 1/3 fat and 2/3 lean
salt
pepper
sage
summer savory or thyme

Finely chop sausage. Form into patties. Mix seasoning and add to sausage. Fry long and gently and serve hot.

Fried Apples

6 apples
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water

Wash apples and remove stems, blossom ends and seeds. Slice apples and sear in hot fat. Add sugar, salt and water. Cover and cook slowly until apples are tender.

Last edited:
These are pair of old recipes. Sausage is recipe from my Granny and Fried Apples is from "The Household Searchlight Cookbook".

Fried Sausage

sausage, 1/3 fat and 2/3 lean
salt
pepper
sage
summer savory or thyme

Finely chop sausage. Form into patties. Mix seasoning and add to sausage. Fry long and gently and serve hot.

Fried Apples

6 apples
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water

Wash apples and remove stems, blossom ends and seeds. Slice apples and sear in hot fat. Add sugar, salt and water. Cover and cook slowly until apples are tender.

Any recommendation on the variety of apple?

We like Granny Smith. It is good cooking apple. But you can use golden delicious too.
How about a tart sweet Shenandoah Valley Winesap. A smaller variety, but a good compromise between the tart (sour to me) Granny Smiths that you have to add a lot of sugar to and the golden delicious, which I consider strictly for biting into.

What about Jimmie Dean? This recipe would be great for a camping trip, just now thinking of this summer.
Lubliner.

Never seen them for sale in these parts unfortunately. I've heard they are a good brand of sausage. The sausage patties I've tried always have a nice hint of sage in them. They are lovely on English muffins, but my favourite is with pancakes and syrup, delicious.

Never seen them for sale in these parts unfortunately. I've heard they are a good brand of sausage. The sausage patties I've tried always have a nice hint of sage in them. They are lovely on English muffins, but my favourite is with pancakes and syrup, delicious.
You had first mentioned McDonald's but around here my personal favorite for sausage biscuits and gravy is Hardee's. If you have any opportunity to try them, you should do so. "Sausage and Gravy Biscuit".
Lubliner.

Back