• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Breakfast Fried Ham and Eggs (a Breakfast Dish)

fried ham and eggs (a breakfast dish)
(from The Book of Household Management, edited by Isabella Beeton, 1861)

Ingredients:

ham​
eggs​

Instructions:

813. - Ingredients. - Ham; eggs.​
Mode. - Cut the ham into slices, and take care that they are of the same thickness in every part. Cut off the rind, and if the ham should be particularly hard and salt, it will be found an improvement to soak it for about 10 minutes in hot water, and then dry it in a cloth. Put it into a cold frying-pan, set it over the fire, and turn the slices 3 or 4 times whilst they are cooking. When done, place them on a dish, which should be kept hot in front of the fire during the time the eggs are being poached. Poach the eggs, slip them on to the slices of ham, and serve quickly.​
Time: - 7 or 8 minutes to broil the ham.​
Average cost 8d. to 10d. per lb. by the whole ham.​
Sufficient. Allow 2 eggs and a slice of ham to each person.​
Seasonable at any time.​
Note: Ham may also be toasted or broiled; but, with the latter method, to insure its being well cooked, the fire must be beautifully clear, or it will have a smoky flavour far from agreeable

Last edited by a moderator:
I think genuine country ham is exceptionally good. Nowadays, it's easy to come by, too. It was not always so commonplace or well known. I was sitting in a popular Main St. cafe years ago when a traveling couple came in for breakfast. The lady waiting on tables happened to be my Mom's best friend and quite a character. She and her husband owned the place. So she went to take the couple's order and the man requested ham and eggs. My Mom's friend asked: "Country ham or regular ham?" The man asked what was the difference. My Mom's friend looked at the wife and laughed and said: "Honey, if he doesn't know the difference, we're not going to waste country ham on him!" I swear it's a true story!

Back