Friday Funny - Someone is always pokin fun at the cavalry

SWMODave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Thread Medic
Anecdote #1

Your most amusing account of the fright recently given to the gallant defenders of the Texas coast, reminds me of an anecdote told on Roddy's cavalry, a regiment said to be always more ready to run than to fight. Whether there be any truth in this imputation—that particular command serving in the Western army—I simply tell the story as I heard it.

It appears that a railroad train passing through Alabama carried a large number of soldiers. One at the front end of a car rose to his feet, gun in hand, and inquired in a loud voice if there was any member of Roddy's regiment on board. No one answering, he repeated the inquiry with a solicitude that demanded response, and immediately a little fellow at the other end of the car arose, and modestly acknowledged himself a member of the regiment.

"That's all right, then," said the inquirer, with an air of great relief, as he cocked his gun and poked the muzzle out the window. " I just wanted to tell you not to be scared, honey, for I ain't a bit mad; I'm only gwine ter pop a cap."

Anecdote #2

Mosby and Fitz Hugh Lee

"Talk about my war record," said Colonel Mosby at a political meeting in Alexandria, “My war record is a part of the State's history. Why, gentlemen, I carried the last Confederate flag through this town."

"Yes," replied Fitz Hugh Lee, " for I was there at the time."

"Thank you for your fortunate recollection," gratefully exclaimed Mosby. "It is pleasant to know that there still lives some men who move aside envy and testify to the courage of their fellow beings. As I say, gentlemen, my war record is a part of the State's history, for the gentleman here will tell you that I carried the last Confederate flag through this town."

"That's a fact," said Fitz Hugh Lee. "He carried the last Confederate flag through this town, but Kilpatrick and Ellsworth were after him, and he carried it so blamed fast you couldn't have told whether it was the Confederate flag or a small-pox warning."

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!