French Immigrants in the war

IMG_3322.JPG

While researching i've come across a frenchman named Camille Armand Jules Marie de Polignac. From what I read about him he was born February 16, 1832 at Millemont Seine-et-Oise, France. He was born into A prestigious noble family and served the French army as a Second Leuitenent in the Crimean War. In 1859 he traveled to Central America to study Geography and plant life. When the Civil War broke out he volunteered for the Confederacy where he was placed under P.G.T. Beauregard And later Braxton Bragg as a staff Officer. In 1863 he was promoted to Brigadier General and transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department where he was put in charge of a Texan Infantry Brigade, though I couldn't find which one. It is said that some of his Texans had troubles pronouncing his last name so they nicknamed him "Prince Polecat." During his service he distinguished himself during the Red River Campaign and was promoted again in 1864 to Major General.
After he was promoted he left for France to negotiate with Emporer Napolean III about sending aid to the Confederacy however, they were cut short when he learned of General Lee's Surrender. He decided to retire to his home in France until re-enlisting in the French army to fight in the Franco-Prussian war. He died at 81 years old in in 1913 and became The last surviving Confederate Major General.

This was all I could find on him. if anyone else has any information on him or any other French Immigrants during the war please feel free to share.
*forgive me if I've made any mistakes here I'm still learning the ropes.

If you are looking for French immigrants involved in the Civil War then perhaps you might want to look into:

Philippe Régis Denis de Keredern de Trobriand
(June 4, 1816 – July 15, 1897) Poet, Author, Publisher, Lawyer and eventually Brevet Major General - Union. (Amongst other things) Also his Father was one of Napoleon's Generals

The 55th New York Volunteer Infantry - The Lafayette Guard/ Guard Lafayette - which was significantly recruited from New York's French immigrant community.

Also,welcome to the Forum

If you are looking for French immigrants involved in the Civil War then perhaps you might want to look into:

Philippe Régis Denis de Keredern de Trobriand
(June 4, 1816 – July 15, 1897) Poet, Author, Publisher, Lawyer and eventually Brevet Major General - Union. (Amongst other things) Also his Father was one of Napoleon's Generals

The 55th New York Volunteer Infantry - The Lafayette Guard/ Guard Lafayette - which was significantly recruited from New York's French immigrant community.

Also,welcome to the Forum
I recently learned that he is buried on Long Island, about 30 miles from where I live. I will try to get out to his grave this summer.

I recently learned that he is buried on Long Island, about 30 miles from where I live. I will try to get out to his grave this summer.

5842026_1395477975.jpg

Photo added by Mehdi Schneyders

Philippe Regis Denis de Keredern De Trobriand

BIRTH 4 Jun 1816
Tours, Departement d'Indre-et-Loire, Centre, France

DEATH 15 Jul 1897 (aged 81)
Bayport, Suffolk County, New York, USA

BURIAL
Saint Anns Cemetery
Sayville, Suffolk County, New York,USA

5842026_125745287945.jpg

5842026_108995665163.jpg

5842026_1395477975.jpg

Photo added by Mehdi Schneyders

Philippe Regis Denis de Keredern De Trobriand

BIRTH 4 Jun 1816
Tours, Departement d'Indre-et-Loire, Centre, France

DEATH 15 Jul 1897 (aged 81)
Bayport, Suffolk County, New York, USA

BURIAL
Saint Anns Cemetery
Sayville, Suffolk County, New York,USA

View attachment 193161

View attachment 193162

Interestingly the 38th New York that features on that inscription was his second regiment. Initially Colonel of the 55th he only became Colonel of the 38th when the 55th was merged into it so I am curious as to why they chose that one for the inscription. Reasonably soon after he became a Brigade commander.

Just seems a bit odd to me.

Also that Brigade mentioned was but one of two he commanded at various points.

He was also a Brevet Major General of Volunteers...

Also traced one George Fiester (or Pfister) who was quite the career soldier. A native Parisian, Fiester served in the 16th US Infantry during the Mexican War. By 1861 he was about 40 when he enlisted in the 25th New York ("Kerrigan's Rangers"), a predominately Irish-American unit from New York City. He saw action in the Peninsula Campaign, 2nd Bull Run, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville, attaining the rank of corporal. After his two year enlistment expired, he reenlisted with the 17th New York Veteran Vols and served under Sherman in the Atlanta Campaign and March to the Sea. He later signed up with the 6th US Infantry and served 12 more years before finishing out in 1879 around the age of 58.

View attachment 193130
While researching i've come across a frenchman named Camille Armand Jules Marie de Polignac. From what I read about him he was born February 16, 1832 at Millemont Seine-et-Oise, France. He was born into A prestigious noble family and served the French army as a Second Leuitenent in the Crimean War. In 1859 he traveled to Central America to study Geography and plant life. When the Civil War broke out he volunteered for the Confederacy where he was placed under P.G.T. Beauregard And later Braxton Bragg as a staff Officer. In 1863 he was promoted to Brigadier General and transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department where he was put in charge of a Texan Infantry Brigade, though I couldn't find which one. It is said that some of his Texans had troubles pronouncing his last name so they nicknamed him "Prince Polecat." During his service he distinguished himself during the Red River Campaign and was promoted again in 1864 to Major General.
After he was promoted he left for France to negotiate with Emporer Napolean III about sending aid to the Confederacy however, they were cut short when he learned of General Lee's Surrender. He decided to retire to his home in France until re-enlisting in the French army to fight in the Franco-Prussian war. He died at 81 years old in in 1913 and became The last surviving Confederate Major General.

This was all I could find on him. if anyone else has any information on him or any other French Immigrants during the war please feel free to share.
*forgive me if I've made any mistakes here I'm still learning the ropes.

Welcome, off to a great start !

A few other prominent French immigrants were e.g.:

Pierre Soule, who had been a U.S. Senator and Minister to Spain before, then served the CSA
Victor Girardey, unconfirmed Confederate Brigadier who was killed in 1864
Col. Xavier Debray, another unconfirmed Confederate Brigadier General
Maj. Felix Agnus, for once a Union guy and Brevet Brigadier General
Col. Charles Le Gendre, another Brevet Brigadier General who afterwards worked in American-Asian diplomacy
Col. Benjamin Bonneville, a Bvt. Brigadier who immigrated as child, graduated from West Point (1815) and served in Mexico
Col. Gustave Cluseret, a Union guy with an unconfirmed Brigader`s promotion
Brig. Gen. Pierre Buisson, a graduate of the Ecole Polytechnic who served in the Louisiana Militia
Brig. Gen. Raleigh Colston actually was born in Paris, most likely to French parents, and raised there as well
Brig. Gen. Alfred N. Duffie, USV

There should be quite some information about several of those available.

In 1863 he was promoted to Brigadier General and transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department where he was put in charge of a Texan Infantry Brigade, though I couldn't find which one.
That brigade served under various commanders before Polignac took command, though never under a brigadier general until then. It consisted of the 22nd, 31st and 34th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), 17th Consolidated Texas Cavalry (dismounted), and 15th Texas Infantry. Other than the fact that Polignac later commanded it, its a very obscure, overlooked brigade that saw service in the Trans-Mississippi throughout the war. Polignac's Texas Brigade by Alwyn Barr is a good book on it.

Of course a lot of French immigrants, as well as Cajuns and Creoles, served in Louisiana units. Can't recall anyone in particular off the top of my head right now but might check sources later.

That brigade served under various commanders before Polignac took command, though never under a brigadier general until then. It consisted of the 22nd, 31st and 34th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), 17th Consolidated Texas Cavalry (dismounted), and 15th Texas Infantry. Other than the fact that Polignac later commanded it, its a very obscure, overlooked brigade that saw service in the Trans-Mississippi throughout the war. Polignac's Texas Brigade by Alwyn Barr is a good book on it.

Of course a lot of French immigrants, as well as Cajuns and Creoles, served in Louisiana units. Can't recall anyone in particular off the top of my head right now but might check sources later.

Here is a map showing the disposition of troops at Mansfield:
https://www.battlefields.org/sites/...ld - April 8, 1864 (First & Second Phase).pdf

Back