French Army scarves and the Civil War.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment were given, what were called, blue French Army scarves. I have limited knowledge of Civil War era cravats and know a bit about Civil War era bow ties, but do not understand French Army scarves of the Civil War era. I see French soldiers in period photographs and modern uniform plates wearing scarves, but can not understand how they were tied. We must have forum members who have detailed knowledge on French Army scarves.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
In the 20th Century the French Army wore cheche neck scarves that almost looked like a tagemust, not being worn over the head. However, French infantry in the 1850s-1860s appear to wear a smaller scarves. The Civil War era French infantry scarves were usually worn under the tunic and in photos it is hard to tell just how long the scarves were. Their scarves kind of look like ascots and might be tied like ascots.

This makes me wonder how the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment wore their blue French Army scarves. I have not found any photographs that clearly show them wearing them except for an image of them wearing them with the photo taken from a distance so the French Army scarves kind of look like light blue "ascots" tied about their necks and worn outside of their jackets (the photo was probably taken at the time the Detroit women gave them the French Army scarves). I do not know how long the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment would have worn their French Army scarves.