Free Tour: Irish 69th NYSM at First Bull Run

The tour draws on the best from two continents. Damian Shiels, author of two books on Irish in the Civil War, has come over from his doctoral studies in the UK to lead the tour. John Hennessy, NPS historian and author of two books on the Bull Run battles will offer his detailed knowledge on the 1861 battle. Harry Smeltzer, who runs the BullRunnings blog site on the battle, has probably read more on First Manassas than anyone else! This is a great line-up.

Last edited:
More info from BullRunnings

• This is a FREE tour. As such, everything is on your own. If you feel compelled to make a donation to the park, you can do so at the Visitor’s Center – they have a box for that.
  • We’ll meet at the Stone Bridge parking lot at 9 AM, on Saturday, May 11. From there, we will proceed by foot across Matthews Hill to Henry Hill.
  • We’ll break for lunch when we get to the Visitor’s Center on Henry Hill. That lunch is on your own. You may choose to carry your lunch with you to this point. Or, if you have a friend with another vehicle, you may want to leave that vehicle on Henry Hill and ride in a second vehicle to the starting point. That way, you can have your lunch waiting for you on Henry Hill. This also might allow you to opt out of the retreat portion of tour.
  • The TOTAL distance of the tour is about 5 miles over rolling ground. Keep this in mind in your planning.
  • The tour is rain or shine. Dress for the weather. Consider that we will be walking through fields and whatnot, and this is May. Tick spray, drinking water, long pants, comfortable and sturdy footwear, are all recommended. At this time, I have no sway over nature.
  • Keep your eye out here for any handouts for the tour. They will not be provided on site. You can choose to print them out or download them to your preferred device.

Wish I could make the 14 hour drive for this activity as it looks so inviting but too far, too far. Thank you for sharing this information.
Regards
David

To Oxford or are you stopping at Manassas? I hope you can make it to oxford soon. Sue and I would love to have you and yours come visit with us and we can visit Shiloh and Vicksburg.
Regards
David

Back