NF Free State Of Jones

Non-Fiction
Same difference. If someone is offing Confederates it serves the Union cause. If men desert from the Confederacy that also serves the Union cause. If someone d ties down Union troops that serves the Union cause. In other words those somebody's were Union guerrillas.
Leftyhunter

Hmmm so apparently add 200,000 Union deserters to the confederate guerrilla total..........

Why would you expect southern newspapers to decry racist cartoons 20 years before the whole country, north and south was portraying Japanese as bucktoothed, eyeglass wearing, slant eyed yellow monkeys and apparently didn't see any connection to that being racist?.................

Contrary to what some seem to want to imply on some of these threads, racism is neither a southern or a black victim thing............It has happened on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, both before and after the civil war, and to about every race, religion and even nationalities within a race that hasn't been the majority .................Is the point of pointing to other parts of the country so one doesn't have to look at what happened in their part?....................

Wasn't aware California for example, had a shortage of racist treatment of Native Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian-Americans or even African Americans throughout its history, unfortunately even to this day based on Rodney King and Mark Fuhrman that it needs to point its finger elsewhere............
No racism is not the same in every state. The Southern states had de facto apartheid and they only stoped due to the intervention of the federal government. If the moderators,allow we can go into modern politics.
Leftyhunter

That's another thing about this movie. He didn't even go looking for his first wife and son after the war. It was just like...'ah well, they're gone', and he'd already moved on by then anyway. I struggle to see Newt Knight as 'moral' in many of the circumstances of this movie. He's a real mixed bag for me.
Monogamy doesn't work for everybody. It certainly didn't work out for countless slave owners.
Leftyhunter

That makes absolutely no sense. Unionist guerrillas are not the same thing as Confederate guerrillas.
That's like saying Ku Kluxers are Black Panthers.
Leftyhunter
Well once I agree with you they aren't the same thing because most of what you keep calling Unionist guerrillas weren't guerrillas at all, they weren't sanctioned in way or form by the union, which makes them just outlaws and bandits.......even the Union didn't consider them Unionist or they would have gave them recognition........

Last edited:
1/3 of the 2nd Founding of the KKK were Southerners. Birth of a Nation Time Period. So how many Others were Members. My math would say 2/3 were part of the 100 percent Americans. Do you think Hollywood just made Racist material for Southerners? Or did they make it, along with Birth of a Nation, because they were Racist?
My point was simply that so called Southern Heritage folks have no problem with Birth of a Nation not being historically accurate but they sure do about Free State of Jones.
Leftyhunter

Well once I agree with you they aren't the same thing because most of what you keep calling Unionist guerrillas weren't guerrillas at all, they weren't sanctioned in way or form by the union, which makes them just outlaws and bandits.......even the Union didn't consider them Unionist or they would have gave them recognition........
Why does a guerrilla need official sanction to becomea guerrilla? Guerrillas walk the walk they don't have to talk the talk.
Leftyhunter

Because common bandits or outlaws are not guerrillas, guerrillas are fighting for a cause, in a civil war one of the two sides, If they aren't fighting for and thereby being recognized by either side......they are not guerrillas, they didn't walk the walk of being in line and recognized by a side, they are just outlaws obviously not recognized as fighting for either cause........they certainly aren't "Unionist guerrillas" as you keep referring to them when the Union refused to either sanction or recognize them

Why does a guerrilla need official sanction to becomea guerrilla? Guerrillas walk the walk they don't have to talk the talk.
Leftyhunter
So the 200,000 Union deserters didn't need any sanction from the Confederacy according to you, Just by deserting they helped the confederate cause and forced resources to be used to try to find/combat and curtail desertion, so by your own argument the 200,000 union deserters are in effect confederate guerrillas............while I find your argument rather ludicrous, that apparently would be the case because in any legitimate comparison one has to use the same standard for both sides equally

Because common bandits or outlaws are not guerrillas, guerrillas are fighting for a cause, in a civil war one of the two sides, If they aren't fighting for and thereby being recognized by either side......they are not guerrillas, they didn't walk the walk of being in line and recognized by a side, they are just outlaws obviously not recognized as fighting for either cause........they certainly aren't "Unionist guerrillas" as you keep referring to them when the Union refused to either sanction or recognize them
How was the Union supposed to supply or sanction guerrillas in Jones County? Parachute drop supplies?
In my thread "Union vs CASA guerrilla "
I did document that when possible the Union did supply guerrillas in Alabama and Florida.
A guerrilla doesn't necessarily need sanctions or supplies. They need guys. Knight and his boys had them in spades.
All one needs to do to qualify has a guerrillas is act like one.
Leftyhunter

So the 200,000 Union deserters didn't need any sanction from the Confederacy according to you, Just by deserting they helped the confederate cause and forced resources to be used to try to find/combat and curtail desertion, so by your own argument the 200,000 union deserters are in effect confederate guerrillas............while I find your argument rather ludicrous, that apparently would be the case because in any legitimate comparison one has to use the same standard for both sides equally
Few Union deserters took up arms against the Union. Some fled to Canada some just became civilian workers. A guerrilla fights a deserter not necessarily.
Leftyhunter

Common bandits don't go out of their way to fight troops,and milita. Knight's boys,did.
Leftyhunter

How was the Union supposed to supply or sanction guerrillas in Jones County? Parachute drop supplies?
In my thread "Union vs CASA guerrilla "
I did document that when possible the Union did supply guerrillas in Alabama and Florida.
A guerrilla doesn't necessarily need sanctions or supplies. They need guys. Knight and his boys had them in spades.
All one needs to do to qualify has a guerrillas is act like one.
Leftyhunter

Now Lefty, The Union Army was all over the State of Mississippi in 63-64 ! You have to do better then that ! How far were they from Ship Island ???

Very well there was over 200,000 confederate guerrillas I will use your flawed premise if thats the definition you choose, and there doesn't have to any actual connection to whatsoever to what they are being called. If there doesn't have to be any actual connection to the Union whatsoever to be Unionist, I guess it would stand to reason there doesn't have to be any actual connection between Union deserters and the Confederacy either.............

It would seem reasonable to least use the same standard equally, however that's why I tend to be a little more selective with the standard I use and require an actual direct connection to the cause I'm calling someone...........

Now Lefty, The Union Army was all over the State of Mississippi in 63-64 ! You have to do better then that ! How far were they from Ship Island ???
How easy would it have been for the Union to ship arms to Jones County. Just because their are Union troops in a state doesn't mean they can easily ship arms to Unionist guerrillas in that state.
Leftyhunter

Very well there was over 200,000 confederate guerrillas I will use your flawed premise if thats the definition you choose, and there doesn't have to any actual connection to whatsoever to what they are being called. If there doesn't have to be any actual connection to the Union whatsoever to be Unionist, I guess it would stand to reason there doesn't have to be any actual connection between Union deserters and the Confederacy either.............

It would seem reasonable to least use the same standard equally, however that's why I tend to be a little more selective with the standard I use and require an actual direct connection to the cause I'm calling someone...........
I will start a new thread about Knight and I will use the dictionary to help educate you that guerrillas and deserters,are not exactly the same.
Leftyhunter

Back