NF Free State Of Jones - Film

Non-Fiction
I thought Victoria Bynum's book was the basis for the movie? I recall she was a historical advisor for the film as well as an extra.

Much of the framing indeed does come from the Bynum book, but Knight's portrayal as a heroic, racial egalitarian is all Jenkins.

Knight said to his black kids in the years after the war to marry as white as they could so they could eventually pass as white. That's hardly a 20th-21st century racial ideal to follow.

This is Davis Knight 80 years later:

1594415744475.png

It seems to me that Newt and Rachel believed in egalitarianism and at same time encourage their offspring to “marry white”. Being from Louisiana and somewhat studying its history I can easily understand that, as a personal position. for those in a racial driven America through history and to this day. Come on down to New Orleans and it does take long to know this. It should not be so racially driven, but it is a byproduct of American Slavery. Yet another theme missed by the movie.

I was fairly impressed by COLD MOUNTAIN as better developed movie. It felt it strange that Inman was running around in the mountain by himself and few friends. In truth, there were many roving bands of jayhawkers in every state and a large support system for them. That movie gave a decent understanding of the ugly nature of the Confederate gunpoint impression gangs.

It seems to me that Newt and Rachel believed in egalitarianism and at same time encourage their offspring to “marry white”. Being from Louisiana and somewhat studying its history I can easily understand that, as a personal position. for those in a racial driven America through history and to this day. Come on down to New Orleans and it does take long to know this. It should not be so racially driven, but it is a byproduct of American Slavery. Yet another theme missed by the movie.

I was fairly impressed by COLD MOUNTAIN as better developed movie. It felt it strange that Inman was running around in the mountain by himself and few friends. In truth, there were many roving bands of jayhawkers in every state and a large support system for them. That movie gave a decent understanding of the ugly nature of the Confederate gunpoint impression gangs.

I think most deserters would be in a group of mess of guys not by them selves unless if you had a pass with you you'd be caught hung or shot as a deserter. Most of the time men who sat out of the war would hide in caves or caverns in the hills away from their family's property to avoid their family being hurt as well in the home guard. I think NC and Tennessee had the most deserted or avoided the draft in the south.

Also about Newton Knight he and his wife have several mixed decendents still living today I think still in Mississippi, in the Blu Ray copy of the film they interview several of them. He was also one of the first to marry a african american woman in that state as well. I like the Knight story same feeling to the Hatfields and McCoy's type of a theme to it.

I just watched this last week for the first time. There are inaccuracies and some things a bit over played, but overall I enjoyed it. Here's why... I do like McConaughey as an actor, so that helps. Also, I watched it with my girlfriend who was not the least excited at all. But after the movie was over, she told me she enjoyed it. It's Hollywood, so I didn't take it as 100% true and accurate. But I was able to watch something with my girl, Civil War related, and both enjoyed it. I'd recommend it... just always have "Hollywood" in the back of your mind and watch it with no expectations other than entertainment.

Here's why... I do like McConaughey as an actor, so that helps.

McConaughey is a great actor, and where I'm at a local hero these days, and in the past not so much a hero. He can make a terrible movie watchable.

Growing up I remember my older step-brother would go to parties and McConaughey would show up at random when in Texas to get plastered. He was a pretty out there acholic back then it seems like. Plus recently on a movie set I was working on, one of the actors I tagged along with has a famous father, and he had some VERY interesting stories about McConaughey that were not very flattering, (but hilarious) and I assume from the days when he was a wild one, and fit with how all the McConaughey family has always been in the past. (Not very good....)

But all that being said, I'm amazed at his transformation and how much a different person he is, and apparently a better one who has become extremely dedicated to helping fellow Texans in need whenever he can. Publicly he shows up on those efforts from time to time, but he does a lot more outside of the public eye. I reckon it shows redemption truly is a thing, and I've known many folks who wouldn't expect such things out of a McConaughey and are equally amazed. So much so that in this blood red portion of Texas, many are genuinely curious about his possible Governor run and open to his message of moderate middle of the road approach to politics.

We just need another CW movie that's better than Free State of Jones before he does anything else!

@Desert Kid is 100% correct about that film.

Actually, the true story of Knight is fascinating !
But "Hollywood" is never worried about accurate historical facts.
To them, it's all about box office profits.

McConaughey is a great actor, and where I'm at a local hero these days, and in the past not so much a hero. He can make a terrible movie watchable.

Growing up I remember my older step-brother would go to parties and McConaughey would show up at random when in Texas to get plastered.

I've always enjoyed McConaughey myself.
I think he's a great actor too.

But during his younger days, Matt sounds almost as crazy as Kiefer Sutherland.
I'm sure those two had a blast filming "A Time to Kill " back in the 90's.

Back then . . . after a day of filming . . . most of the crew would party hard at local clubs into the wee hours.
I only saw two actors show up with them, Sandra Bullock & Kiefer Sutherland.

Ms Bullock loved to dance, so after about an hour on the dance floor, she disappeared.
However, Mr. Sutherland would stay until "closing time" .

:bounce:
The man was very funny when he was plastered !
Sober the next afternoon . . . Mr. Sutherland performed his role great !

Sorry to get off topic.

Watch The Free Sate of Jones for entertainment.
Read Bynum's book if you're interested in what really happened.

Growing up I remember my older step-brother would go to parties and McConaughey would show up at random when in Texas to get plastered. He was a pretty out there acholic back then it seems like. Plus recently on a movie set I was working on, one of the actors I tagged along with has a famous father, and he had some VERY interesting stories about McConaughey that were not very flattering, (but hilarious) and I assume from the days when he was a wild one, and fit with how all the McConaughey family has always been in the past. (Not very good....)

But all that being said, I'm amazed at his transformation and how much a different person he is, and apparently a better one who has become extremely dedicated to helping fellow Texans in need whenever he can. Publicly he shows up on those efforts from time to time, but he does a lot more outside of the public eye. I reckon it shows redemption truly is a thing, and I've known many folks who wouldn't expect such things out of a McConaughey and are equally amazed. So much so that in this blood red portion of Texas, many are genuinely curious about his possible Governor run and open to his message of moderate middle of the road approach to politics.

We just need another CW movie that's better than Free State of Jones before he does anything else!
Do you have any idea how much I would have given, at my time in college, to be at a house party and for Matthew Freakin' McConaughey to crash it?

Do you have any idea how much I would have given, at my time in college, to be at a house party and for Matthew Freakin' McConaughey to crash it?

If he had crashed the party, all the girls would have left with him.

So, I think you and your buddies would have been lonely the rest of the evening.

:laugh:

Last edited:

If he had crashed the party, all the girls would have left with him.

So, I think you and your buddies would have have been lonely the rest of the evening.

:laugh:

Fortunately them days seem to be behind him. Him becoming a responsible citizen after all his shenanigans is really remarkable. If its what it seems.

It may seem pretty odd, but this is actually one of my favorite crime dramas....
The book is far superior. The movie mangled the final deliberation, because Brigance could not make a speech like that legally during a trial.

In the book, it's a juror that says all that stuff during deliberation. Boring, but more accurate.

The book is far superior. The movie mangled the final deliberation, because Brigance could not make a speech like that legally during a trial.

In the book, it's a juror that says all that stuff during deliberation. Boring, but more accurate.
Books are always better than film adaptations.

Hence why I always adamantly refuse to read the book on film adaptations of book if I love a movie.

I will not ruin a movie I like.

More white unionist from TN in the Union Army than soldiers from Minnesota or Delaware or Rhode Island. And when they finally make a positive movie about a a Unionist from the south, they pick Night from Mississippi....ah well.

Back