Fredericksburg visit: Hotel, Blue & Gray tour help wanted

Andrew

Corporal
I may be visiting the Fredericksburg area this summer for a long weekend and hope to get a day or so to spend around that battlefield. I have a couple of questions for anyone who may be able to help:

1) Any hotels anyone can recommend (for or against)? Looking for clean, safe and comfortable. Ideally, I'd like to stay somewhere between the battlefield and the Jackson Shrine, south of town.

2) Does anyone have the Blue & Gray Magazine issues from 2009 that contain the tours of Fredericksburg that they'd be willing to part with cheap? I can't seem to find those back issues anywhere online. I think I have the 2 recent issues that cover Second Manassas that I'd be willing to trade, if anyone is interested.

Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions about what to do while in town and where to visit. I'll be going with family, so non-Civil War recommendations are also welcome. I know there are a few other CW sites nearby, but I like to focus on a single site/battle rather than try to see as many as I can. I'll be reading Frank O'Reilly's book before I go.

Thanks!

I stayed at a Spring Hill Suites outside downtown by a movie theater and mall. Its not a large town it wasnt far out of town, but it was good. Breakfast and all in the morning which is what I look for and I am a Marriott guy from my work days traveling significantly. There was a Marriott downtown but it was a bit pricey and the hotel chosen was between Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville.

As for a motel, we stayed at the Hyatt Place - Mary Washington which was nice and it was easy to get out of town.

As to battlefields, I understand the family problem but you will be so close to both Chancellorsville and Spotsylvania it seems a shame not to visit them. If you don't be sure to get a Fredericksburg battle map and drive around (i.e. don't just got to the Marye's Heights visitor center. There's a lot of the trench work still visible.

As to non-Civil War, there's old town. You can just walk around and there's lots of tourist shopping and places to eat. Several famously-visited spots are the old apothecary shop and Georg Washington's mother's house. You could also visit Ferry Farm which was George's childhood home.

That's about all I can remember just now. Have fun.

2) Does anyone have the Blue & Gray Magazine issues from 2009 that contain the tours of Fredericksburg that they'd be willing to part with cheap? I can't seem to find those back issues anywhere online. I think I have the 2 recent issues that cover Second Manassas that I'd be willing to trade, if anyone is interested.
I did an eBay search and didn't see one. I'd keep checking that every week. I have heard that they sometimes have those back issues at the battlefield Visitor Centers.

Wanted to bump this post in case anyone didn't see it the first time. Still looking for the Blue & Gray magazine Fredericksburg issues (Vol XXV, #4 & #5 from 2008-2009). Thanks!

Back