1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Fredericksburg, VA: Fast & Furious

Discussion in 'Contemporary Photos of Civil War Sites & Events' started by Eleanor Rose, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

DSC02041.JPG

Since we were on a “business” trip, @Southern Unionist and I only had a couple days to explore Fredericksburg. Needless to say it’s on our list for a return trip. Thanks to my CWT buddies we saw some of the highlights so of course I wanted to share them here. All the pics are courtesy of my hubby. Please enjoy!

Our first stop was Chatham Manor, a home that played a vital role as a Union headquarters, hospital and soup kitchen during the Civil War. Five "witness trees" from the Civil War still grow on the grounds of Chatham, including two Catalpa trees, which have become locally famous.

DSC02007.JPG

DSC02009.JPG

DSC02011.JPG

And here's the chair.
    DSC02012.JPG

Chatham is worth a visit for the view alone.
    DSC02019.JPG

And the trees. You have to see the Catalpa trees. Hurry, they're on life support!
    DSC02031.JPG

Next post will be the Wilderness.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Oh yeah. Been so busy,I forgot you had that trip coming up. Keep posting. :D

4. Southern Unionist

Southern Unionist Sergeant

That house was used for quite some time as a Union army headquarters, and the yard on the river side was used as an artillery position during the Battle of Fredericksburg. Estimated tens of thousands of slaves escaped into freedom by crossing that river during the months that it divided US-held territory from the CSA.

Seduzal, LoriAnn, AnnaLee and 5 others like this.
  5. Eleanor Rose

DSC02044.JPG

I finally made it to the site where General Longstreet was wounded. I think it was @FarawayFriend who said it was strange how little there was to see once you got there. At any rate, that's the way I felt. I stood looking off into the woods searching for a vague spot. Yet I felt rather proud that I had finally made it there to pay my respects.

DSC02046.JPG

Remnants of the Wilderness Tavern, an important site during the Chancellorsville and Wilderness campaigns. The structure was built about 1810 and during the war was the home of William Simms and his family. In earlier times, it served as a stagecoach stop and tavern. During the Battle of the Wilderness, this area was the location of several Union field hospitals.

DSC02050.JPG

Germanna Plank Road near the Wilderness Tavern leads to the infamous Orange Plank Road.

DSC02052.JPG

I think we all feel this way every now and then, but sadly if you fought during the Civil War you likely felt this way every day. This display reminded me of something General Longstreet said:

"As the evening hours draw near, the bugle calls of the eternal years sound clearer to my understanding than when drowned in the hiss of musketry and the road of cannon. By memory of battle-fields and prophecy of coming events, I declare the hope that the present generation may witness the disbandment of standing armies, the reign of natural justice, the ushering in of the brotherhood of man. If I could recall one hour of my distant but glorious command, I would say, on the eve of battle with a foreign foe, LITTLE CHILDREN, LOVE ONE ANOTHER."
    ~James Longstreet, The Herald (newspaper), 1898.

DSC02055.JPG

Pics of downtown and more historical sites in my next post.

6. Eleanor Rose

DSC02073.JPG

Fredericksburg, VA is a quaint town loaded with history. The tavern known as the Rising Sun Tavern operated for 35 years as a stopover for travelers in this bustling port town.

DSC02075.JPG

In 1772, George Washington purchased a house from Michael Robinson in Fredericksburg, Virginia for his mother. Mary Ball Washington spent her last seventeen years in this home. America's first President came to this home to receive his mother's blessing before attending his inauguration in 1789.

DSC02076.JPG

No trip to Fredericksburg is complete without walking the Sunken Road.

DSC02089.JPG

DSC02087.JPG

General Lee's command post during the Battle of Fredericksburg is now known as Lee's Hill.

DSC02102.JPG

The view from Lee's Hill today.

DSC02107.JPG

Remnants of Confederate trenches are plentiful.

DSC02111.JPG

Just a few more pics to follow.

7. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I have a duplicate of this photo. We need to post them side by side. That's amazing.

Seduzal, pamc153PA, chellers and 5 others like this.
  8. Eleanor Rose

DSC02093.JPG

Inside St. George's Episcopal Church, one of many Civil War hospitals. We got lucky and had a private performance by the organist. Can you see him in the picture below?

DSC02094.JPG

These very pews served as makeshift hospital beds for soldiers from both sides.

DSC02095.JPG

These enduring steeples took a lot of fire during the Battle of Fredericksburg.

DSC02098.JPG

If you travel with @Southern Unionist and me, you'll soon learn that food is an important part of our adventures. We had plenty of great meals, but two were special favorites. @Southern Unionist is a bit of a rail fan so he loved enjoying lunch at Brock's Riverside Grill and dinner at the Bavarian Chef. He caught a rare shot of the AutoTrain crossing the Rappahannock and enjoyed some authentic German fare in the old Fredericksburg train station. I loved them both too!

DSC02060.JPG

DSC02083.JPG

DSC02068.JPG

Whew! It was a fun visit, but next time we will definitely stay longer!

9. Southern Unionist

Southern Unionist Sergeant

Surgery downstairs, everything else on this level. Stretchers, cots, gurneys, and makeshift beds were on the floor, on the pew seats, and positioned crosswise on top to form a third level, to get as many patients into the building as possible.

LoriAnn, pamc153PA, AnnaLee and 7 others like this.
  10. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Looks like somebody had a great visit to my favorite place in all of Civil War America. Hope you and @Southern Unionist had as much fun as it looks like.

11. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Great photo tour

12. Pat Young

Pat Young Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Featured Book Reviewer

I was at the Chancellorsville visitors center the weekend it reopened. Great place.

13. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Another great photo tour !

I'm glad you and @Southern Unionist had a great time.
    I'm looking forward to the future photos. :thumbsup:

14. amweiner

amweiner Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Fantastic pictures, Ellie!! Thank you for sharing these!! Glad you had a great visit and got home safely. :smile:

15. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

@Eleanor Rose Thank you for returning me to Fredericksburg. I have not been there in many years. One of my favorite spots was the Salem Church battlefield, which was a part of the Chancellorsville Battlefield. I loved seeing the photos you posted. Thank you!

16. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger Sergeant Major

These are my favourites...especially the last. Please promise me you will enter that one into a photo comp here. I think it is one of the most meaningful representations of war that I am yet to see.

And thank you for sharing these. I always feel that I am there when I look at the images you and @Southern Unionist post for us to enjoy :smile:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  17. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger Sergeant Major

OK. Stuffed that post up, but if you scroll down, you can see my comment :tongue: I am techno-savvy, NOT! :help:

18. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Fixed it for ya.:smile:

19. J. Horace

J. Horace Corporal

I love the Chatham house as my great grandfather married into the Lacy family after the War.

Here is the front of a letter written on Nov. 15, 1842, to Hannah Coalter who lived at Chatham.
    coalter.jpg

CSA Today, LoriAnn, AnnaLee and 5 others like this.
  20. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Very nice photo tour. We liked Fredericksburg, too, last September. You mentioned the steeples and I can't resist saying that the most distant one in your photo is the First Baptist Church and that my great grandfather was the pastor just after the war for a short time and raised the money to rebuild (the church had pretty much been reduced to rubble by artillery and they held services in what remained of the cellar). I was at one time in touch with their historian who sent me copies of church records regarding grandpa and I sent him a picture which is now in their little museum.

Glad y'all had a good visit.

LoriAnn, AnnaLee, chellers and 3 others like this.
  21. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Wonderful photos, bringing back sweet memories of my trip last year!
    Thank you so much for sharing and I'm glad you liked the German food!
    I spent far too much money in that self-service frozen yoghurt store in Fredericksburg, lol. A little bit of this and a spoonful of that and suddenly my cup was at $8! But it was the beginning of the vacation, the beginning of the euphoria, so it was worth it!

Seduzal, John Winn, War Horse and 5 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)