GRAPHIC Fredericksburg Burials

Here is the latest from NPSFRSP about the photographs. A relatively recently found photograph showing one of the photographers actually in the process of taking one of the burial photographs from another angle was published in one of Bob Zeller's Civil War in Depth books, which I think has thrown the project of finding the location of the burials into into disarray.

Last edited:
I think you're right bp. I've heard that the Federals would bury their own and leave the Confederates where they lay or let the civilians handle burying them.

Here is the latest from NPSFRSP about the photographs. A relatively recently found photograph showing one of the photographers actually in the process of taking one of the burial photographs from another angle was published in one of Bob Zeller's Civil War in Depth books, which I think has thrown the project of finding the location of the burials into into disarray.

That is a wonderful article, thank you! Love it when people with this level of interest really dig into this stuff, give us that much information. Gosh. All those poor men, at least being buried with respect- what a terrible detail for those who had to do it, too. I'd been thinking it was not a great topic or the photographers to pick, maybe disrespectful but changed my mind a little. Guess I memorializes some of the dead were able to be buried with dignity. You see other photos, as with the Bull Run battlefield revisited, soldiers who fell in the first battle imperfectly buried, bones laying above the ground.

Back