Fredericksburg: Banks Ford down to the Upper Pontoon Crossing

rebed19th

Corporal
IMGP0855.JPG

Made a day trip to Fredericksburg, Started at Banks Ford where very few have ventured to find this marker. There is no parking any place along River Road to get to this site. 3/4 mile hike each way, with 24" of shoulder clearance but it was worth it to complete the story to the upper pontoon crossing. The Rappahannock runs along River Road and bends into Fall Hill Ave, which becomes current day Sophia St (aka known as Water St) where the upper pontoon crossing was laid straight up Hawke St and turns left onto Caroline St. in downtown Fredericksburg. There is quite a high slope before getting to the top. The terrain is from what I have been told very close to to the way it was on that day. Hope I didn't go on too long.

IMGP0854.JPG

IMGP0847.JPG

IMGP0849.JPG

IMGP0882.JPG

IMGP0883.JPG

IMGP0879.JPG

IMGP0876.JPG

IMGP0880.JPG

IMGP0885.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice photos and of course the river of looks a little high! Here’s another part of history found that has been put into over-over full bucket . Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it very much. :dance:

Great photos just drove through Fredericksburg and should have stopped for these sites. Thanks for sharing

I used to live in the area. Fredericksburg is worth a good weekend. Nice old town. Outside of the Mayre's Hights area, there are fairly extensive, relatively untouched areas. We would open the car doors and let the kids run wild till exhausted. Nice quiet ride home... :wink:
Nice pictures Sir!

Back