"Fred Douglass Is But A Mouthing Darkey...but with the glory of Congo Constituencies..." Oct. 1868

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
This article in the Democratic Edgefield Advertiser reprints an article from the conservative Democratic paper The New York World.

Edgefield Advertiser
Wednesday, Oct 07, 1868
Edgefield, SC
Vol: 33
Page: 3

fd1.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Pat,

I worry that you concern yourself with such racist articles from our nation's past.

While I appreciate you bringing this period of Reconstruction to light, I cannot help but feel it could have a depressing influence upon you.

Please be careful and give yourself time to come up for air and joy.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Pat,

I worry that you concern yourself with such racist articles from our nation's past.

While I appreciate you bringing this period of Reconstruction to light, I cannot help but feel it could have a depressing influence upon you.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
Actually, it's good to remind us of how even great Americans like Lincoln and Douglass were viewed by some contemporaries. Shows how far we have come. And, sadly, how much further we yet to go.

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Actually, it's good to remind us of how even great Americans like Lincoln and Douglass were viewed by some contemporaries. Shows how far we have come. And, sadly, how much further we yet to go.

MODERN POLITICS. EDITED BY MATT MCKEON

Last edited by a moderator:

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
"Their", meaning other contemporary Americans.
??? History is history. It doesn't change AFTER its occurred...….

The history doesn't change, as its fixed events...….My GGGF's father in 1870 was still my GGGF's father in 2018, and its still the family history. Whether I tend to sweep it under a rug or not, doesn't change the event that he was my GGGF's father. Its still as true as today as it was then, as its a fixed event in time.

Notice Pat is pointing out these events in 2018.....as its still the history today, not just to 1870 contemporary Americans

Last edited:
??? History is history. It doesn't change AFTER its occurred...….

The history doesn't change, as its fixed events...….My GGGF's father in 1870 was still my GGGF's father in 2018, and its still the family history. Whether I tend to sweep it under a rug or not, doesn't change the event that he was my GGGF's father. Its still as true as today as it was then, as its a fixed event in time.

Notice Pat is pointing out these events in 2018.....as its still the history today, not just to 1870 contemporary Americans
You completely missed the point. Has nothing to do with political affiliations.

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
You completely missed the point. Has nothing to do with political affiliations.
Hmmm yet he posted "This article in the Democratic Edgefield Advertiser reprints an article from the conservative Democratic paper The New York World." it seems very clear its about a political affiliation to me, he made a point to specifically name the affiliation twice.

Last edited:

WJC

Brigadier General
***Posted as Moderator***
As one member responded, consider this information in the context of nineteenth-century America and avoid engaging in any discussion of modern politics.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Pat,

Sincerely,
Unionblue
I am working my way through Reconstruction a year at a time. I am up to 1868. As I joke with friends, I am not sure how it turns out.

A lot of the research I was doing a few months ago was in the Freedmen's Bureau records, and I posted a lot of encouraging stories about the establishment of schools and colleges by and for African Americans. As the 1868 elections neared and the Freedmen's Bureau was being shut down, violence by the KKK and similar groups rose. Also, the Democratic campaign was explicitly racist. I was surprised by the openness of Southern conservatives in discussing a war of extermination against blacks if their enfranchisement led to Republican electoral victories.

It is depressing.

If people thought the war was over, they're wrong. Reconstruction was the war after the war. There were winners and losers. There was no shelter for the losers.

Gimme Shelter
The Rolling Stones

Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'
Our very street today
Burns like a red coal carpet
Mad bull lost its way

It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
Rape, murder yeah!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away yea

The floods is threat'ning
My very life today
Gimme, gimme shelter
Or I'm gonna fade away

- Alan

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
huskerblitz,

God's truth, my friend, God's truth.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I am working my way through Reconstruction a year at a time. I am up to 1868. As I joke with friends, I am not sure how it turns out.

A lot of the research I was doing a few months ago was in the Freedmen's Bureau records, and I posted a lot of encouraging stories about the establishment of schools and colleges by and for African Americans. As the 1868 elections neared and the Freedmen's Bureau was being shut down, violence by the KKK and similar groups rose. Also, the Democratic campaign was explicitly racist. I was surprised by the openness of Southern conservatives in discussing a war of extermination against blacks if their enfranchisement led to Republican electoral victories.

It is depressing.
Pat, I'm afraid the next few years of news stories aren't going to bring you much relief. There's a long, dark night coming as regards race relations in America. Years pretty much of silence -- except for the lynchings and the riots.

Last edited:

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Yes Thanks for providing some insight into the Democrat party in 1868, and the other years you have, its interesting history, as I tried to point out earlier not often discussed. Apparently have to be careful how you word the history of something......even though it is the history of something,

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)