Fred C. Loring Co K 7th MO Cavalry

I am so sorry I missed this when you first posted it! The records for Fred Loring at Fold3 are quite lengthy and very interesting. Loring was the Captain of Company K. He mustered in November 1, 1861 and was discharged November 22, 1864 when his term expired, though that date is somewhat confused (a note from the pension office shows they had to clear them up after the war).

Loring's record isn't perfect. He was charged with being AWOL in October of 1862, taking the company records with him, and was arrested and sent to be court martialed. There is a long letter detailing Loring's neglect of his command and a letter from Loring to Secretary of War Stanton explaining himself, along with other correspondence detailing various issues (illness, lateness, etc.). It's a lot of information and hard to get a full sense of without spending way more time than I did. Eventually Loring was released without any loss of rank and returned to duty away from his company. He spent the last months of his term on detached service, serving as quartermaster in Little Rock beginning May 18, 1864.

There are also letters detailing Loring's attempts to regain possession of his horse and to get full pay for the time he was imprisoned and/or suspended. It's really a saga! Loring was either a scoundrel or the unluckiest man in Missouri. It may not be the longest set of records I've come across, but it sure is close. I tried to download the file and attach it to this post but it's too large. If you do not have access to Fold3 let me know and I'll see if I can split it or get it to you some other way.

Back