Franklin Franklin Battlefield Walking Tour (11-30-15)

By seeing that the bullets appear to be from carbines can't you pinpoint the location of the unit using them if they were at the gin or not.?

The Henry cartridges were interesting. No one unit in that area (which is slightly west of the gin) had Henrys, although an individual man in one of the units that occupied that area may have. It is also possible a man in the 27thn Illinois, which had Henrys and was on the advanced line, made it back to the main line from where he fired and dropped. The others were mostly standard .58 minie balls, and the vast majority of guys were using those, or at least Enfield .577.

Yes what poignant picture it does present! Is the re-built Cotton Gin going to be built on the original foundation? Thanks for posting.

At this point, after much deliberation, I doubt very much the gin will be reconstructed. Interpretive signage is planned for 2016, and we may erect the outline of the gin (showing it scope, both width and height) using steel beams, but the cost of reconstruction is prohibitive and by using the outline idea visitors can still see the stone foundation. My hope is that we unveil final plans in the spring of 2016.

I might add this is a joint project between Franklin's Charge, the Battle of Franklin Trust, the Tennessee Civil War Heritage Area, and the City of Franklin, so all parties are involved.

(December 2nd, 1864) Captain Tod Carter, American Civil War Confederate Army Officer, a native of Franklin, Tennessee. He enlisted in the 20th Tennessee (CSA) Infantry, being commissioned as a Captain, and served in that regiment for most of the war. He fought at the battles of Mill Springs, Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Atlanta and Franklin. He was captured at Missionary Ridge, but escaped and made his way back to the Army, where he was given a position on the staff of General Thomas Benton Smith. At the November 30, 1864 Battle of Franklin, he was mortally wounded a little more then 500 yards from his family’s home (Carter House). Found by family members after the battle, he would die two days later in his home, which is preserved today in Franklin as a museum.

IMG_7018.JPG

Last edited:
At this point, after much deliberation, I doubt very much the gin will be reconstructed. Interpretive signage is planned for 2016, and we may erect the outline of the gin (showing it scope, both width and height) using steel beams, but the cost of reconstruction is prohibitive and by using the outline idea visitors can still see the stone foundation. My hope is that we unveil final plans in the spring of 2016.

I might add this is a joint project between Franklin's Charge, the Battle of Franklin Trust, the Tennessee Civil War Heritage Area, and the City of Franklin, so all parties are involved.
Thanks Eric, it may be better anyway to see the original foundation than some reconstruction.

I would once again encourage fellow American Civil War buffs to visit the battlefields at Spring Hill and Franklin, Tennessee! You will not be disappointed......

Bill

I signed up for this tour last month ($30.00). I arrived today at the Lotz House and found out I was the only one on this tour. I had a blast and I gathered a ton of useful information about this brutal conflict. I highly recommend a tour with Tom and Jamie!!!

Bill
You had a solo tour with the guides all to yourself. All I can say is, you were one lucky man! I love Franklin, it is one of my favorite battles to study!!

You had a solo tour with the guides all to yourself. All I can say is, you were one lucky man! I love Franklin, it is one of my favorite battles to study!!

I signed up for their tour in October of last year. I met them at the Lotz House and I had them all to myself. I had an absolute blast!!!

Bill

I signed up for their tour in October of last year. I met them at the Lotz House and I had them all to myself. I had an absolute blast!!!

Bill
Is the Lotz house open to the public? I know many years ago it was being used as a museum, I have a uniform that came out of there when it was, but as far as I know it is a private residence now, I have not been to Franklin for a few years...

The Lotz House is open to the public for tours and they have a ton of relics throughout the house. Check out their website and contact J.R. for assistance. Wonderful human being....

Thanks Bill for these photographs. I am completely taken by the battles of Franklin and Nashville as Hood came through my town of Florence on the way. A friend of my son's was married on the grounds of the Carnton Plantation and it was absolutely wonderful. A beautiful fall day and got to tour the mansion after the wedding. Blood still remains on the wooden floors upstairs. It is so much history I could not take it all in. Thanks again.

Thanks Bill for these photographs. I am completely taken by the battles of Franklin and Nashville as Hood came through my town of Florence on the way. A friend of my son's was married on the grounds of the Carnton Plantation and it was absolutely wonderful. A beautiful fall day and got to tour the mansion after the wedding. Blood still remains on the wooden floors upstairs. It is so much history I could not take it all in. Thanks again.

My pleasure, my friend!

* I can't believe it has been a year since my personal tour conducted by Thomas Cartwright and Jamie Gillum!

The Battle of Franklin was fought on November 30, 1864, at Franklin, Tennessee, as part of the Franklin–Nashville Campaign of the American Civil War. It was one of the worst disasters of the war for the Confederate States Army. Confederate Lt. General John Bell Hood's Army of Tennessee conducted numerous frontal assaults against fortified positions occupied by the Union forces under Major General John M. Schofield. The Confederates were unable to break through or to prevent Schofield from a planned, orderly withdrawal to Nashville.

Last edited:
Back