Handguns Frankenvolver

1SG

Private
moved the post of Dance and Brothers look a like to here, for a more relevant discussion of basement/DIY guns

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

the pics of the cylinder and the removable piece is WEIRD,,,,,quite a feat to time this beast???

notice the pic of the frame where a normal SN# would be??? Why would the creator of the beast, have such unfinished look OR did he remove previous SN#

The lands and grooves appear to be 3 grooves? I ran a patch through it and it made 5 land marks?

The hand has the same cross hatch marks as the trigger did (from a file)

I assume the recoil of the gun would bear on the ratchet surface only? I took another walker type pistol apart and noticed the inset on the receiver where the ratchet sits and the recoil is supported by the ring on the receiver (pics of another receiver below)

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

1SG,

That is a most unusual revolver! I hope you don't mind but I saved all of your photos in a separate folder. The ratchet at the rear of the cylinder is the first I have ever seen that was removable, and it looks like it is indexed with the pins somehow. The nipple orifices seem to vary in size. It appears to be .44 caliber.

Whomever created that took a lot of time to do so.

Good luck in your endeavors to figure this one out. I am leaning towards most major parts are from a Colt Dragoon 1st Model.

Keep us posted!

Regards,

Jim

1SG,

That is a most unusual revolver! I hope you don't mind but I saved all of your photos in a separate folder. The ratchet at the rear of the cylinder is the first I have ever seen that was removable, and it looks like it is indexed with the pins somehow. The nipple orifices seem to vary in size. It appears to be .44 caliber.

Whomever created that took a lot of time to do so.

Good luck in your endeavors to figure this one out. I am leaning towards most major parts are from a Colt Dragoon 1st Model.

Keep us posted!

Regards,

Jim
The orifices are probably deformed from dry firing, LOL

I cant understand why he would obscure any markings where the SN# would be?

I love the hunt of figuring out this beast

Imagine if you had (let say a DANCE revolver) with a failed hand to ratchet function???? it could be milled off, a new peace made like this one has and indexed/timed,,,,several holes where drilled I assume to fix timing

I can understand the hand/spring failing, but not the ratchet. Whatever the smith who created this had in mind is beyond my comprehension.

1SG, please: what is the caliber??

Jim

it is 44, I mic'd it around .449

Very good. Thank you!

The other thing I don't understand is why the arbor is not "grooved" for lubricant and what the round hole near the end of the arbor is for.

The wedge slot also is very small.

This gun is very much a conundrum.

Jim

Last edited:
Im thinking the round hole is to insert a screwdriver to rotate the arbor to aid in removing or lining up

this wedge lockes up the action tighter than you know what, the cylinder stops lock it up great

I'm thinking the round hole is to insert a screwdriver to rotate the arbor to aid in removing or lining up.

Well, maybe, but I am not buying that. You already posted that there is a pin to secure the arbor to the frame. That means it is secured for firing. The original smith could have used a pair of pliers to do the same thing. I am thinking there is something different that this guy had in mind. What that was I have no clue.

Jim

Sourdough - Re-read my previous post from my experience as a Journeyman Machinist. These are hand made "Basement Mechanic" parts done by someone who was very clever, and with a moderate amount of "Talent" to go with it. It isn't really that hard, I built my first .22 caliber "Zip Gun" in my parents basement when I was only 15 years old. I bought my first Lathe when I was 17 years old and taught myself how to operate it.
J.

Last edited:
Back