Frank the Gettysburg War Horse

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
frank jpeg.jpg

My last post was a bit of a downer because it related to the horses killed in the Leister farm yard, so I thought I would bring the room back up with a happier horse story that you may be familiar with.
Frank, the Gettysburg War Horse was a veteran of the Civil War. He was assigned to Issac R. Swartout, private of Battery D of the 1st NY Artillery. Frank first saw action with his owner at Gettysburg on July 1st 1863. He proceeded to participate in 14 more battles from The Wilderness and Cold Harbor, all the way thru to the surrender of Lee at Appomatox Court House April 9th 1865. He was purchased by Isaac after the war and remained with him the rest of his life. Here is a photograph of Frank after the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 154158
My last post was a bit of a downer because it related to the horses killed in the Leister farm yard, so I thought I would bring the room back up with a happier horse story that you may be familiar with.
Frank, the Gettysburg War Horse was a veteran of the Civil War. He was assigned to Issac R. Swartout, private of Battery D of the 1st NY Artillery. Frank first saw action with his owner at Gettysburg on July 1st 1863. He proceeded to participate in 14 more battles from The Wilderness and Cold Harbor, all the way thru to the surrender of Lee at Appomatox Court House April 9th 1865. He was purchased by Isaac after the war and remained with him the rest of his life. Here is a photograph of Frank after the war.
That was an awesome story GG. Thank you.

Did they brand horses in service back then? Any idea what that "US" is?
I think it's that, not sure the US brand was already used during USCW...remember seeing it in "Run of the arrow"(Sam Fuller 1957); but too big (!)...Later cavalry horses (Custer 1876 campaign for example) were supposed to be all branded with U.S signs.
1AAAAAAAA.jpg
1AAAAAA.jpg

View attachment 154158
Thanks for posting this story of a worthy survivor!

"Comanche", Myles Keogh's horse...the only horse surviving LBH battle.
The only officially confirmed horse who survived.
George Custer's mount, Vic (for Victory), "a sorrel, with four white feet and legs and a blaze in the face", was not found on the battlefield. There were rumors that he had been taken by the Indians and reports that he was seen in Canada some time afterward by a civilian who had visited Fort Lincoln frequently while Custer was there. Indian accounts say Vic was taken by a Santee, but they disagree on his name.
<W.A. Graham, The Custer Myth: A Source Book of Custerania.(New York: Bonanza Books, 1953), p. 345.>

Last edited:
I think it's that, not sure the US brand was already used during USCW...remember seeing it in "Run of the arrow"(Sam Fuller 1957); but too big (!)...Later cavalry horses (Custer 1876 campaign for example) were supposed to be all branded with U.S signs.
View attachment 154341 View attachment 154342
Custer himself purchased his thoroughbred horses while serving in Kentucky. The surviving photo of the two he took on his last campaign, Dandy and Vic (Victory) with Custer's aid, John Burkman, show no signs of branding.

View attachment 154158
Any idea where this photo was taken?

Back