Frank James (center) attending a Quantrill Reunion

True, one of the farms I inherited in Andrew county has been in the family since the 1840's, purchased for $1 an acre. If I ever sell it, the capital gains will kill me!

Virginia families migrating through Kentucky.---in lieu of payment for their service in the revolution, many VA soldiers were given land in KY. That's how my father's family came out of VA and through KY. Maybe the James family did too. Although many of the soldiers sold their land grants to land speculators who then resold them to the settlers.

My VA ancestors came over in the 1640's or so to escape from Cromwell. I think they were on the loosing side of the English Civil War.
That's why you have it appraised when you inherit it, then capital gains go off that value, went through all that last year with my mom's death, and fortunately its high now.

I doubt if farm values have changed much in a year. Especially now since soybeans are down 20% due to our little trade tiff with China.

It has to be valued on time of inheritence, though we had a piece we owned half and half with another family, they died 4 yrs b4 my mom, so we had it appraised and legally divided then, when my mom died the tillable acres had increased in value 30-40 % in just those 4 yrs, think my half of that one piece went from 500,000 to 835000, so compared to their heirs, id take far less a hit on capital gains

Last edited:
I read a Federal Reserve study recently that said farmland values in Missouri had increased at a higher rate than our neighbors. Even increased at a higher rate than Iowa. I think I read it on Ag-Web. It broke down values for cropland, pasture and timber. Cropland had increased the most at something like 10% within the past one year. Kansas was the only State in the FR district that showed a loss in value, but then look who lives there.

https://www.agupdate.com/markets/la...cle_e166eb0e-969c-11e8-9b06-1bcd3f9eb8ef.html

Missouri saw the largest gain in values, which includes farmland, cropland and buildings on agricultural properties. The figure rose 10 percent to $3,700 an acre. The Corn Belt region, which includes Missouri, remained the nation’s most expensive, at $6,430 an acre.

FYI: http://agebb.missouri.edu/mgt/landsurv/landsurv17.pdf
http://dreamdirt.com/blog/missouri-farmland-prices/
https://www.acrevalue.com/map/MO/

Last edited:
A lot were younger then 19, there were 13 and 14 yr olds riding as guerrillas
This is true, and it shouldn't be overlooked or underestimated. It was the norm for soldiers of both sides to be teenage boys. This extended to the Missouri guerrillas. Sure, some of them were older, but most were quite young. Regarding the mystery one-armed man in the photo with Frank, I'm guessing that's Charles "Fletch" Taylor.

I was notified of a like that I received on one of my summer posts on this thread. That was enough to make me read through it again.
With that in mind:

1. I think Frank James is, without doubt, one of the most interesting characters of the war and post-war years.
2. @Booner, I don't think I knew you were related to the James family waaaaay back when. This might explain a few things I have wondered about you!
3. @Booner, before you sell your farm, you and I really should have a quail hunt up there. You probably have some pheasants on the farm, too.
4. There is still no doubt in my mind that the one-armed man with Frank in post #42 is Fletch Taylor.

I was notified of a like that I received on one of my summer posts on this thread. That was enough to make me read through it again.
With that in mind:

1. I think Frank James is, without doubt, one of the most interesting characters of the war and post-war years.
2. @Booner, I don't think I knew you were related to the James family waaaaay back when. This might explain a few things I have wondered about you!
3. @Booner, before you sell your farm, you and I really should have a quail hunt up there. You probably have some pheasants on the farm, too.
4. There is still no doubt in my mind that the one-armed man with Frank in post #42 is Fletch Taylor.
Hey don't forget about me.

Back