Francis Harrison Pierpont the 'Father of West Virginia'.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
George Washington is called 'The Father of Our Country' and Francis Harrison Pierpont is called the "Father of West Virginia". I assume the people of West Virginia honor the memory of Pierpont, but how do the people of Virginia see him? I assume that when Pierpont became the Governor of the Restored Government of Virginia not every citizen in Virginia recognized him as the legal Governor. Some Virginians may have even seen Pierpont as a traitor to the Commonwealth of Virginia. So do people in Virginia include him as a legal Governor of Virginia? So did Virginia have two legal Governor at one time? I take it the U.S. Government considered Pierpont the legal governor while the Confedercy Believed that John Letcher was the governor until William smith became governor in 1861.Because only part of Virginia could vote is William Smith seen as a legitimate governor of Virginia?

Perhaps Francis Pierpont can be seen as both a hero and a villain. Regardless of how one sees Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont is is an interesting politician.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Wasn't Pierpont also known as the governor of the "Restored Government of Virginia"?

Yes he was. But does not governor of the "Restored Government of Virginia" mean that he was viewed as the legal governor of Virginia. Well at least viewed as the legal governor of Virginia by the U.S. government. Perhaps the Confederate government seen it differently. Could Pierpont be governor without a vote of the people? How really voted to make Pierpont governor, a few representatives at a convention? One would have to believe that this convention had the legal right to elect Pierpont governor of the whole state. I am not sure it is clear this convention had the legal right to do that

Eric Wittenberg

1st Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
I have always found it absolutely fascinating that there's a monument to Pierpont outside West Virginia Independence Hall in Wheeling that expressly describes him as "The Father of West Virginia" when he served only one term in the state legislature and died in Pittsburgh. His role was absolutely crucial in bringing about the birth of West Virginia when he was really governor of Virginia, whether legally or illegally.