Frances (Fannie) Ann Forrest, daughter of Nathan Bedford Forrest

That's Fanny! :wub: Thanks, CSA! She looks the image of her old man, that's for sure. What a beautiful little child. No wonder Forrest never, ever spoke of her after she died - too much.

I noticed on the grave site there is another picture of her, and there is part cut off. There's a black hand holding her shoulder - I'd sure like to see the whole picture because that hand might belong to the very mysterious and elusive Catharine. @DSessom can you help?

That's Fanny! :wub: Thanks, CSA! She looks the image of her old man, that's for sure. What a beautiful little child. No wonder Forrest never, ever spoke of her after she died - too much.

I noticed on the grave site there is another picture of her, and there is part cut off. There's a black hand holding her shoulder - I'd sure like to see the whole picture because that hand might belong to the very mysterious and elusive Catharine. @DSessom can you help?

No, that's Willie's hand....

fannie-and-willie-forrest-jpg.jpg

I can't help, but I would like to see e whole picture too.

Oh my! What a beautiful child! She certainly bears a strong resemblance to Forrest. Especially in the first picture. Im curious what others think. What features bear the strongest resemblance in your opinion? Eyes and brows? Look of determination on her face?

Oh my! What a beautiful child! She certainly bears a strong resemblance to Forrest. Especially in the first picture. Im curious what others think. What features bear the strongest resemblance in your opinion? Eyes and brows? Look of determination on her face?

I'll have to admit unless I'm looking at identical twins I have difficulty spotting family resemblances. :frown:

diane didn't she die from Scarlet Fever? I know she was five years old.

Nathan's sister died when she was 5 too and think it was typhoid fever. Little Fannie was named for her.

Between 1849-54, there was a cholera pandemic, and Memphis was hit especially hard. My great-grandmother died on the Oregon-California trail from it, having picked it up in Independence, MO. I think cholera is what carried off little Fannie. Typhoid fever is what took off the Forrest children when they lived around Chapel Hill.

Just as a side note, Forrest was very gung-ho about municipal water supplies! During his terms as an alderman for Memphis, that was always one of his top priorities - clean drinking water.

Back