Currency Fragile currency

ewmail15

Retired User
My first Confederate currency arrived a few weeks ago. I loved its overall good condition letters, numbers and engraved imagery (better description needed). A 1" square was separated and lot of fold wear to check. Is there a best way to bond the square into place? I was considering protecting it with a 2-side plastic sealer machine. Thoughts? I'll snap photos tomorrow.

I picked up 3 more different denomination bills, and then ordered a reference book. I'd rather pick up several well worn bills that I know were in circulation. Maybe I'll find hand writing to investigate. Thanks, Eric.

It is indeed habit forming...lol. I started collecting currency as a kid. Some old guy selling notes and stamps would set up at a local flea market. These werent minty high end collectables, but to me they were just as interesting and a piece of history. I would recommend placing the torn note parts together in a mylar sleeve and leave it alone for now. Over time you will learn and hear about various methods to make the repair with, so dont rush it. Find out what may work best for this particular note. It takes a number of years to learn what is what. How to spot and determine fakes.

I started with the usual CS govt issued notes. Later started to include state issued treasury notes... then local bank issued notes (aka obsolete bank notes, these can be quite interesting since the wide variety and high end printing can be quite amazing).. local issued fractional script currency.. then even further to include treasury bonds. Over the years discoverd that I had amassed several hundred of them.. It takes time. Most were obtained one or maybe two at a time.. just a few were small collections.

I wish I'd have bought some more notes years ago when they were cheaper.It is hard to explain to some people,about how it feels having a piece of history in your hands. But then again some people know exactly what you mean.

One day I'd like to get my hands on that $500.00 with Stonewall Jackson, the Flag, and the Seal. There are more expensive notes out there but I consider this one to be the "Holy Grail" of Confederate Money.

The first one I received is actually in 8+ pieces - ugh. Yes, piece of history, with education to be learned.

Back