FOW-Aiken

Gettmore

Sergeant Major
001hdrCWT.jpg

Very interesting insignia on the coat sleeve of the officer. Great photo!!
That´s an embroidered Masonic emblem. They´re common among reenactors, but very uncommon nearly non-existent in original photos. I´m more interested in the 79th NY soldier in the glengarry cap. That´s one of the best interpretations of the unit I´ve ever seen on the field. Federal uniform with the distinctive sidecap. Perfect.

That´s an embroidered Masonic emblem. They´re common among reenactors, but very uncommon nearly non-existent in original photos. I´m more interested in the 79th NY soldier in the glengarry cap. That´s one of the best interpretations of the unit I´ve ever seen on the field. Federal uniform with the distinctive sidecap. Perfect.
I agree on the 79th impression. Superb. My whole family since the 1840's have been Freemasons. In my 47 years I have rarely seen a masonic emblem on an original pic from the War, but I was very curious as to the placement on his coat sleeve. Are these pards from the States or across the pond?

Hard to say. They´re all wearing their haversacks under their waistbelts. That´s a newbie thing that´s not done in my neck of the woods very often, certainly not by several men in a row.

I agree on the 79th impression. Superb. My whole family since the 1840's have been Freemasons. In my 47 years I have rarely seen a masonic emblem on an original pic from the War, but I was very curious as to the placement on his coat sleeve. Are these pards from the States or across the pond?
I believe this picture was taken at Aiken SC during their annual reenactment, @Gettmore has posted a couple others from that event the last few days.

Back