Four brothers who died in war

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
1553170690396.png

Pvt. David H. G. Wardlaw, Pvt. Samuel Peden Wardlaw, and 2nd Cpl. William Alfred Wardlaw, Company F, "Gwinnett Independent Blues", 24th Georgia Infantry. All 3 enlisted on 24 August 1861 and all 3 died in the war. David died on 1 October 1862 in Burkettsville, Maryland after being mortally wounded at Crampton's Gap. Samuel died on 6 May 1864 during the Battle of the Wilderness, and William died on 19 February 1863 in Lynchburg, Virginia. Their brother Robert served in Company B, 41st Georgia Infantry and died on 5 November 1862 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
View attachment 298155

Pvt. David H. G. Wardlaw, Pvt. Samuel Peden Wardlaw, and 2nd Cpl. William Alfred Wardlaw, Company F, "Gwinnett Independent Blues", 24th Georgia Infantry. All 3 enlisted on 24 August 1861 and all 3 died in the war. David died on 1 October 1862 in Burkettsville, Maryland after being mortally wounded at Crampton's Gap. Samuel died on 6 May 1864 during the Battle of the Wilderness, and William died on 19 February 1863 in Lynchburg, Virginia. Their brother Robert served in Company B, 41st Georgia Infantry and died on 5 November 1862 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The last brother mentioned, Robert, who served in Company B, 41st Georgia Infantry caught my attention (unpictured). His regiment was in General Cheatham's First Division, Maney's Third Brigade, of the right wing of the Army of the Mississippi under Bragg at the Battle of Perryville, fought on October 8, 1862 in Kentucky. I was speculating on his cause of death, whether by wounding and transport back to Chattanooga after the battle, or mishap afterwards, or maybe illness. Anybody know?
Thanks, Lubliner.

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
In my husband's family tree there is a family from who lost five sons and a son-in-law in the war. If I remember correctly one son didn't serve as he was too young, and one came home whole in body.

2/241

Retired User
In WWI all six sons of a Bavarian farmer fell.

After the 5th had died the parents pegged to sent home the last one

The letter telling them he would be sent home asap reached the parents the same day as the letter from his captain that he had fallen.

gunny

First Sergeant
The last brother mentioned, Robert, who served in Company B, 41st Georgia Infantry caught my attention (unpictured). His regiment was in General Cheatham's First Division, Maney's Third Brigade, of the right wing of the Army of the Mississippi under Bragg at the Battle of Perryville, fought on October 8, 1862 in Kentucky. I was speculating on his cause of death, whether by wounding and transport back to Chattanooga after the battle, or mishap afterwards, or maybe illness. Anybody know?
Thanks, Lubliner.
I looked at the casualty reports for the 41st at Perryville and he isn't listed on it. Additionally, his paperwork for money owed him lists him as having died at Chattanooga. Usually the papers would have stated that he died of wounds if he had. I suppose he got sick on the return from Kentucky and died in a hospital of illness.