Found in creek bed

breeze

Private
Home owner in Natchitoches , just off Red River rich in civil war history/finds...wish to find information/current value of same.
thumbnail_IMG_0740.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0741.jpg

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors forum. Cool finds, thanks for sharing them with us. You'll get some help here before long.
Thank ya Cap n , My dad passed away Sunday January 6 2019 , he is gone but the memories of us relic hunting together will always be in my mind/heart . I will post photos of his many other finds as time allows as he had always personally enjoyed sharing his finds and the stories that went along.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. What you have are 2 CW Schenkle shells. If you could post some measurements and photos of the base of the shells over at the Weapons & Ammo forum we can determine what size they are. From the photos they maybe CS Schenkle's from the Marshall Texas arsenal but would need photos and measurements to tell for sure.

Judging by the wooden sabots and the fact that I have seen a bolt and shell identical to these, I would say that they are Marshall (Texas) 3.67" Schenkl products; what makes them more interesting is that they still retain their wooden sabots. Supposedly all of these shells/bolts of this type were recovered from an overturned artillery cassion in the Red River (Provencal, LA.) area. Also, welcome to the group from middle Alabama. They have wooden sabots because the Confederates couldn't perfect the formula for paper mache' sabots like the Union Schenkl's used.

Last edited:
I can remember some one coming to Natchez LA , where my dad made them available for viewing/photographing and were featured in a book (attachment) , but have not located a copy as of yet

View attachment 218177
This is one of the "go to" books on Civil War field artillery projectiles, however, that said; it has been out of print for quite a while and if you can find one; they aren't cheap. If you can find one, what you are looking for is on page 312.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum @breeze . Threads like these never cease to amaze me. We have some members who are very knowledgeable on a wide range of CW topics. The relics and artifacts folks are really good at what they do.

This is one of the "go to" books on Civil War field artillery projectiles, however, that said; it has been out of print for quite a while and if you can find one; they aren't cheap. If you can find one, what you are looking for is on page 312.
Great, will be going to parents home today...might locate it there...Thank you !

Judging by the wooden sabots and the fact that I have seen a bolt and shell identical to these, I would say that they are Marshall (Texas) 3.67" Schenkl products; what makes them more interesting is that they still retain their wooden sabots. Supposedly all of these shells/bolts of this type were recovered from an overturned artillery cassion in the Red River (Provencal, LA.) area. Also, welcome to the group from middle Alabama. They have wooden sabots because the Confederates couldn't perfect the formula for paper mache' sabots like the Union Schenkl's used.
I remember , the projectiles when dug, were in almost pristine condition from being embedded deep in the clay creek bed , dad took them home and immediately soaked them in linseed oil

Back