Foto Friday -- Period furniture

Blessmag

Captain
1615566010537.png

1615566038954.png

I remember my Grandmother having very similar furniture in her "parlor".
( a stuffy, very formal room that was rarely used)

All of us Grandkids were forbidden to even go in there.
" We might break something "

That didn't bother me at all, I hated that room anyway.
We were convinced the room was haunted.

It looked identical to something we watched in a gothic horror movie.

:laugh:

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
I've never seen that chair before... I'm assuming some of those stains are Lincoln's blood...
No ,the stains are from hair oil . The chair was in storage for many years before Henry Ford bought it for the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn , Michigan. Apparently at least one person used to sit in it and stained it by leaning back in it . There were some blood stains on the chair as well. Henry Ford purchased it at auction for $2400.

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
No ,the stains are from hair oil . The chair was in storage for many years before Henry Ford bought it for the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn , Michigan. Apparently at least one person used to sit in it and stained it by leaning back in it . There were some blood stains on the chair as well. Henry Ford purchased it at auction for $2400.
Interesting. Do you know what year Ford purchased the chair? And what it's current value is approximately?

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
Interesting. Do you know what year Ford purchased the chair? And what it's current value is approximately?
The equivalent of $2400 in 1929 is about $36, 558 today . I'd say Henry got a real deal. If anyone gets near Dearborn , Mi. I'd highly recommend the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village as well. Ford collected many historic buildings back in the day including the Wright Brother's bicycle shop and part of Edison's lab . Traditionally there has been a large gathering of Civil War re-enactors on Memorial Day weekend . I don't know if that still happens .