Foto Friday 5/31

ARW

Sergeant
Anything with wheels......The first two are from Manassas and the horse drawn wagon is from Gettysburg a couple of years ago.

DSCN8923.JPG

DSCN8929.JPG

Wagon.jpg

1559340527133.png

Here are two very rare wheeled vehicles displayed in the Visitor Center at Chickamauga NMP: above, a restored but original artillery battery wagon, painted to represent the one for the Chicago Board of Trade Battery; each and every artillery battery had one of these in which tentage and other supplies for the unit were carried. Below, a battery forge, a travelling blacksmith shop which carried a bellows-powered forge, anvil, and blacksmithing tools used in caring for the horses and repairing wheels, etc.; every battery had one of these too. Note that these are painted the same liquid olive green that was regulation not only for them but also the gun carriages, limbers, and caissons of a Union battery.

1559340556707.png

Last edited:
About a dozen years ago we had a member of our group that made an ACW Federal ambulance wagon....himself! He did a super nice job and soon took it to events. He did not have any horses though. But he obtained a life sized plastic replica steed for display hooked up to the ambulance. From ten feet away it looked pretty good. Then one event, someone put some horse manure strategically behind the horse's rump which fooled many of the spectators. LOL

There is ( or was) an ambulance near the Seminary Ridge Museum in Gettysburg , but I can't find any of my images .

There is ( or was) an ambulance near the Seminary Ridge Museum in Gettysburg , but I can't find any of my images .
I remember seeing it during our visit last April but neglected to take any photos of it because it was a repro; here's a not-very-good photo of another repro in the Pry House barn at Antietam I was tempted to post anyway and now will:

1559402628949.png

Back