Foto Friday 4/19

ARW

Sergeant
Let's see some reenactors on at a National Park. This first on is a demonstration of CW Medicine at Cemetery Ridge in Gettysburg.

22 (1280x853).jpg

21 (1280x853).jpg

At the Gettysburg Re-enactment 2013 the public were invited to walk from Seminary Ridge to the Angle (Pickett's Charge) on the actual date and time it happened , the only difference being 150 yrs later. These Guys lead the way.
489.JPG

Not exactly re-enactors but everyone felt they were for the day.
Although I have walked the field on my own there was nothing like the experience of hearing so many people doing the 'Rebel Yell'
504.JPG

528.JPG

613.JPG

635.JPG

<--- My profile picture is from Ft. Stevens in Washington, DC for 150th anniversary of the battle there.

I have tons of pictures of reenactors at national battlefield parks because the units I belong to are close to so many battlefields and we do a lot of events for the NPS. Here are just a few of us portraying Field Musicians at various NPS battlefields and sites:

Field Music demo at Monocacy National Battlefield, Frederick, MD
44033736_1706111216185362_9135376192843546624_n.jpg

Playing my tin whistle for visitors, Harpers Ferry National Park
HF1.jpg

Harpers Ferry National Park
10801908_979336898762071_5263943811191457067_n.jpg

From the 150th Anniversary of the surrender at Appomattox--Field Music waiting to form up for the march into town.
fife and drum.jpg

The Federal City Brass Band marching into Appomattox for the surrender ceremony:
FCBB.jpg

The Field Music in camp, Appomattox 150th:
field music at camp..JPG

Music demo at Manassas National Battlefield:
1.JPG

Getting ready for a windy and rainy Field Music demo at Ft. Washington in Maryland:
Ft. W.JPG

From the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Monocacy in Frederick, MD:
150 monocacy 4.jpg

Gettysburg National Battlefield--Field Music in camp near the Pennsylvania monument:
with officer.JPG

Field Music and Firing demo, Gettysburg National Battlefield
music and firing demo.jpg

Color Guard for Dedication Day ceremony, Soldier's National Cemetery, Gettysburg
7f3ee8cc-5e0b-4535-bf5c-dad155eabc75-HES-DR-111918-dedicationday-09 - Copy.jpg

The USS Constellation isn't a national park, but it was in the US Navy and served as the reserve flagship for the Commander in Chief of the Atlantic Fleet at one point, so close enough:
1.1.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos, but I have to ask why is that child dressed in a Nazi uniform?
WW2 weekend at the Eisenhower farm in Gettysburg. Lots of WW2 reenactors , but I was a bit surprised to see a child dressed in a German uniform . There are still WW2 vets alive and I wonder how they feel about German reenactors at Eisenhower's farm . My observation is that there are fewer visitors at the German end of the event than the Allied area .As with Civil War vets , some said forgive and move on , while others never could .

WW2 weekend at the Eisenhower farm in Gettysburg. Lots of WW2 reenactors , but I was a bit surprised to see a child dressed in a German uniform . There are still WW2 vets alive and I wonder how they feel about German reenactors at Eisenhower's farm . My observation is that there are fewer visitors at the German end of the event than the Allied area .As with Civil War vets , some said forgive and move on , while others never could .

People can do what they want, but I will never get into WWII reenacting. I know it’s a big thing now, but one of my uncles was killed by a German soldier in WWII. Another uncle flew daylight bombing raids over Berlin and wound up a nervous wreck for the rest of his life because of it—what they called “shell shock” then and PTSD now. He died in a VA hospital. My grandmother’s second husband—the only grandfather I ever knew, built airfields in the S. Pacific with the Seabees so our planes could island-hop their way to the Japanese mainland. My father emigrated to America before the war from Dresden and was heartbroken over what those totalitarian fanatics had done to his homeland. He supported the war effort in America, despised the Nazis and everything they stood for, and watched in horror and despair as they rampaged through Europe.

Although I was born after WWII, that war was vividly in the living memory of the family I grew up with. And there are millions of stories like that still out there.

I have no problem reenacting ancient armies—as the epilogue from the film “Barry Lyndon” notes: “It was in the reign of King George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.”

Ancient history is just that, and most people I’ve encountered appreciate our efforts in educating them about it. But when it comes to reenacting WWII, I’d wait until it is ancient history too, at least 100 years or more distant.

People can do what they want, but I will never get into WWII reenacting. I know it’s a big thing now, but one of my uncles was killed by a German soldier in WWII. Another uncle flew daylight bombing raids over Berlin and wound up a nervous wreck for the rest of his life because of it—what they called “shell shock” then and PTSD now. He died in a VA hospital. My grandmother’s second husband—the only grandfather I ever knew, built airfields in the S. Pacific with the Seabees so our planes could island-hop their way to the Japanese mainland. My father emigrated to America before the war from Dresden and was heartbroken over what those totalitarian fanatics had done to his homeland. He supported the war effort in America, despised the Nazis and everything they stood for, and watched in horror and despair as they rampaged through Europe.

Although I was born after WWII, that war was vividly in the living memory of the family I grew up with. And there are millions of stories like that still out there.

I have no problem reenacting ancient armies—as the epilogue from the film “Barry Lyndon” notes: “It was in the reign of King George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.”

Ancient history is just that, and most people I’ve encountered appreciate our efforts in educating them about it. But when it comes to reenacting WWII, I’d wait until it is ancient history too, at least 100 years or more distant.
I think there may be a belief among some that all was eventually forgiven after the civil war . This may be because of the newsreel footage of the later Gettysburg reunions showing bearded vets shaking hands .I don't want to take this thread in a different direction , but WW2 is much more recent . My father was a navy combat vet from the Pacific theater . Two of my uncles were army combat vets from the Pacific . They never talked about the war to me but as a child I would catch conversations amongst them at family events . There are millions of stories about the WW2 vets that will never be written down . Over 50 years after the war my father had a reaction to the sound of radial engine WW2 fighters flying over after an airshow . He immediately turned gray and started to shake We thought he was having a heart attack . After sitting for several minutes he said " I hadn't heard that sound in 50 years . That's what the kamikazes sounded like when they came after us ." I had a GGgrandfather in the Civil War and 3 GGUncles . I wonder if they suffered after the war when they heard a certain sound that reminded them of the things they had endured .

Back