Foto Friday 3/15

ARW

Sergeant
It's seems like a good day to tour the Museums and Visitor's Centers.

4 (1024x683).jpg

6 (1024x683).jpg

7 (1024x683).jpg

DSC05905.JPG

Civil War (formerly Confederate) Museum, Appomattox, Virginia - I've posted photos from here before, and my camera doesn't do well under such conditions indoors, so here are only a few examples from my April, 2018 visit:

DSC05884.JPG

General Robert E. Lee's "Maryland Sword" presented to him in 1862 by citizens of Baltimore, run through the blockade, and worn by him at Appomattox. Below, another 'blockade" item:

DSC05896.JPG

DSC05888.JPG

Case containing examples of Confederate soldiers' personal possessions such as socks and hardtack.

DSC05899.JPG

Naturally, Confederate battleflags are well-represented like the one above and below:

DSC05903.JPG

DSC05901.JPG

Of course uniforms, weapons, and personal items belonging to famous - and some not-so-famous - personages predominate in their collection like these above and below.

DSC05902.JPG

Here's another famous chair from Henry Ford's Museum at Dearborn's Greenfield Village:

View attachment 297176
I was there several years ago when they had on display a copy of the Emancipation Proclamation . The staining on top is not blood , but hair oil!! Apparently it was stored in a closet at the Smithsonian and the area was used by employees on break !

I believe the piece of material displayed is alleged to have come from the dress of Laura Keene , an actress in "Our American Cousin" who was present at the assassination .

Back