Forums & Members Input Needed For CWT Invades Vicksburg

Now that it's October, I should see if I can attend. I want to see both Vicksburg and Port Hudson this year. Research trip.

@gary I have a set of Port Hudson brochures from my Baton Rouge CWRT Symposium trip if you would like them just send me a PM with your address.
Regards
David

@Drew. Please scratch me off the list. I've been scheduled to go to Branson, MO in the first week of Oct. Afterward I will visit Vicksburg and Port Hudson on my own. Wish I could have gone with you guys.

@Drew. Please scratch me off the list. I've been scheduled to go to Branson, MO in the first week of Oct. Afterward I will visit Vicksburg and Port Hudson on my own. Wish I could have gone with you guys.

Oh, rats, @gary

Sorry you can't make it with the group, but at least you're getting out there to see the ground. That is really important.

It would be quite convenient to give the Cairo talk at the Cairo, naturally. There's nothing quite like having the original around as a "visual aid"...

I talked through a rough draft of my Cairo tour, and I think it'll come to about 25 minutes not including questions... I think that'll do-- still want to give people time to go through the museum!

I talked through a rough draft of my Cairo tour, and I think it'll come to about 25 minutes not including questions... I think that'll do-- still want to give people time to go through the museum!
Sounds GOOD. I'm sure we can make time for both. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

I should be able to handle the artillery section, but at the advice of the former park historian; it may be without props.
Then maybe you can do the show part of the show and tell in our War Room at the hotel.

With our upcoming trip to Vicksburg (Oct. 25 – 27th) we want to call on all our Forums and members to get involved in our CWT Invades Vicksburg Tour. There are many aspects of the battle and siege that covers many of our forums. Below are just some suggestions of the major stops for members to give a short (15-20 min) presentation. We would love to hear our Forums and attending members input and suggestions. Even if you can’t attend, we would still love to hear your thoughts or things you would like to see as we post many photos throughout the days and nights of the event. If you would like to give a short presentation or have a suggestion for one please let us know.

Suggestions.

Were your ancestors at Vicksburg? (What’s their story)

The Monuments.

Shirley House

Stockade Redan & Attack

Thayer’s Approach

Battery Selfridge (all navy guns & crew) redbob is going to do a Show & Tell on Vicksburg artillery with shells from his collection from Vicksburg.

Surrender Site

Great Redoubt

Railroad Redoubt

Grants Canal (Sunday)

Schedule:

PM Friday Oct. 25th

1:00 pm: Gather in our meeting room. Travel to Old Court House museum

3:30 pm: Cedar Hill Cemetery (Confederate Soldiers Rest)

Oct 26th The Park All Day.

7:00 am. Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Go over the days plan again for anyone who missed it.

8:15 am. Meet and tour VNP Visitors center.

9:30 am – 1:00 pm. Park Tour (north end)

1:00 pm Lunch break at picnic area located at the USS Cairo.

2:00 - 3:30. Tour USS Cairo

3:30 till, Finish park tour to south end, Railroad Redoubt and Fort Garrott.

Sunday Oct. 27th

South Fort

Louisiana Circle

Navy Circle

Grants Canal (must see)
I hope I get to go!

We hope you can make it also.

I likewise still hope to go, but with all my upcoming medical issues, dont know if will be possible or not at this point, right now

Oh wow. So you're not going to Champion Hill or Raymond? Friends of Raymond has really put a lot of work into the battlefield, shame you're going to miss it. Maybe some of you can road trip over there. :D

Back