Fort Sumter National Monument

Bill, thanks for the excellent photos. Fine work, as usual. Your comprehensive photos gave me a good overview of a place I've only read about. I became so curious by the USS Yorktown in the background of your Patriot's Point shot that I clicked into a satellite view of the entire bay, with all the forts and batteries indicated. I have a much better understanding of the bombardment now. Thanks!

Thank you, sir!

Patriots Point and Fort Moultrie are must-see venues.

Bill

Last edited:
* Fort Johnson on James Island.

FB_IMG_1523561984246.jpg

FB_IMG_1523561989991.jpg

FB_IMG_1523561997422.jpg

FB_IMG_1523562003609.jpg

I have been to Fort Moultrie, but have only seen Fort Sumter. It was late in the day, about too late to visit. I liked Moultrie, as I like those old CAC Forts. I have been to several. They are very interesting. Thanks for posting @Buckeye Bill. You saved me another long trip.

One of the most impressive aspects of my visit to Ft. Sumter was the morning flag raising in which I participated with others at the direction of the Park Ranger.

On this day in 1861, Federal Major Robert Anderson surrenders Fort Sumter after 33 hours of Confederate bombardment. The American Civil War (War Between the States) began on April 12th, 1861 and ended on April 9th, 1865.

FB_IMG_1555156434015.jpg

Darn. I've been to Secessionville and my car was attacked by a rebel dog. While my car was stopped, the dog rammed it at a full speed run. It staggered away and I broke out in laughter.

Battery Wagner will be covered in my third book.

That explains why I missed it on my tour of the forts last month!

A NPS Ranger at Patriots Point told me about the Fort Johnson location. He told me it sits on private property. Just ask permission at the gate and they will let you see the wonderful view towards Fort Sumter, the First Shot Monument and the Revolutionary War Magazine.

Bill

A NPS Ranger at Patriots Point told me about the Fort Johnson location. He told me it sits on private property. Just ask permission at the gate and they will let you see the wonderful view towards Fort Sumter, the First Shot Monument and the Revolutionary War Magazine.

Bill

The tour guide on the ferry to Fort Sumter pointed it out, but I just assumed that I couldn't visit. Oh, well, too late, now. I'm a thousand miles away.

Back