Fort Sumter National Monument

These photos were captured in September of 2012.

I was not able to take my son with us because of school.

I finally took my son with us last week to visit the Charleston, SC ACW sites.

He absolutely loved Fort Sumter!

There is nothing like sharing history with loved ones....

Bill

These photos were captured in September of 2012.

I was not able to take my son with us because of school.

I finally took my son with us last week to visit the Charleston, SC ACW sites.

He absolutely loved Fort Sumter!

There is nothing like sharing history with loved ones....

Bill
How true bill.even my wife tolerates my passion when we explore.Last weekend she was really impressed with Andersonville.she said it really got to her to realize what those poor fellows wentthrough.

And the conflict begins.....

IMG_20150516_155418.jpg

AFAIK the Star of the West approached from the south, as shown on the map below. The main shipping channel is from the south, parallel to the shore of Morris Island. There were some smaller channels, which would help blockade runners in the coming years, but large ships or those not familiar with the harbor used the main channel.

As I've read it, Star of the West was first fired on by the Star of the West battery, receiving one hit, then came under fire from Fort Moultrie which was forward of the ship. Those shots fell short but made it clear that there was little future in continuing on.

morris-island-historic-jpg.jpg

Great photos. It is as if I am there. Last time I was in Charleston, I was in college and there for a fraternity formal. I had other things on my mind...pretty sure the American Civil War was not. But I was there with my now wife of 12 years so it was all good.

I have always wanted to go back.

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

I've been to Sumter once, but it's been over 20 years ago, long before I took an interest in Civil War history. I want to go see it again and take the family along this time.

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

I've been to Sumter once, but it's been over 20 years ago, long before I took an interest in Civil War history. I want to go see it again and take the family along this time.

When my wife and I visited Fort Sumter in 2012, the flags (including C.S.A. flag) were flying overhead. When my son and I visited Fort Sumter in 2015, all flags were not flying. The fight over the Confederate flag in South Carolina caused the flags to cease flying. I am curious if the flags are flying today.

Bill

* Thank you for the compliment.....

Last edited:
When my wife and I visited Fort Sumter in 2013, the flags (including C.S.A. flag) were flying overhead. When my son and I visited Fort Sumter in 2015, all flags were not flying. The fight over the Confederate flag in South Carolina caused the flags to cease flying. I am curious if the flags are flying today.

Bill

* Thank you for the compliment.....

You're welcome!

I think that flags are all back up, but I think they lowered the flagpoles so they could only be seen from inside the fort. I've read a couple of contradictory stories, so I'm not entirely sure.

http://www.postandcourier.com/archi...cle_90bdee4f-372e-50a0-8b8a-2c6cd5071ac8.html

Bill, thanks for the excellent photos. Fine work, as usual. Your comprehensive photos gave me a good overview of a place I've only read about. I became so curious by the USS Yorktown in the background of your Patriot's Point shot that I clicked into a satellite view of the entire bay, with all the forts and batteries indicated. I have a much better understanding of the bombardment now. Thanks!

Back