Fort Sumter National Monument

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
On this day in 1861, the bloodiest four years in American history begins when Confederate shore batteries under General P.G.T. Beauregard open fire on Federal-held Fort Sumter in South Carolina’s Charleston Bay. During the next 34 hours, 50 Confederate guns and mortars launched more than 4,000 rounds at the poorly supplied fort. On April 13, U.S. Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort. Two days later, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued a proclamation calling for 75,000 volunteer soldiers to quell the Southern “insurrection.”

* The Fort Sumter Diagram (Visitor Center).

IMG_7458.JPG

* Patriots Point (The General Beauregard).

IMG_7484.JPG

* Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor.

IMG_7505.JPG

* Fort Sumter Marker (Sally Port).

IMG_7509.JPG

* 42 Pounder Cast Iron Cannon.

IMG_7515.JPG

* Fort Sumter Damaged Walls.

IMG_7542.JPG

* The Flags of Fort Sumter.

IMG_7563.JPG

* The Flags of Fort Sumter Marker.

IMG_7579.JPG

* The Flag Post (Memorial to Union Major Robert Anderson and Troops).

IMG_7585.JPG

* The United States of America Flag which flew over Fort Sumter.

IMG_7597.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)

Last edited:
* Morris Island (Cummings Point Batteries).

IMG_7565.JPG

* Fort Johnson on James Island (First Shot Marker).

IMG_7574.JPG

* Fort Sumter Interior.

IMG_7599.JPG

* Fort Sumter Sally Port.

IMG_7621.JPG

* Fort Sumter Marker.

IMG_7607.JPG

* Fort Sumter Marker.

IMG_7608.JPG

* Fort Sumter Memorial.

IMG_7603.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)

Last edited:
These are great photographs Bill! I have always been fascinated by pictures of the interior arched openings walled in with doors and windows after the battle to house soldiers.

Thanks for posting these great photos. Fort Sumter was named for "The Carolina Gamecock" Revolutionary General Thomas Sumter. His baby sister, Anne, was my paternal 5 x great-grandmother, Anne Sumter Land. I've never been to the fort. Hope to go someday.

Thanks for sharing!

I will be visiting this fort on May 9th. It will be my second visit to Charleston, SC.

Wonderful city.....

Bill

You got that right! Charleston is beautiful! I'm actually thinking of retiring around the Seneca area. I've got photos of my trip saved somewhere! Lol
It was my stay in Charleston and Ft Sumter that peaked my interest in CW reenacting. Called my buddy who's the CO and told him, "get me started."

Back